Setting off the DSC siren remotely from Envisalink

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

eastnwest88

Setting off the DSC siren remotely from Envisalink

Post by eastnwest88 »

Since I could not get anyone to help with setting off a Siren remotely say to scare off an intruder seen on camera,
I did some searches and have a working method to do it

DSC 1832/1864

1) Connect a jumper from PGM1 to Bell - (the negative)

2) In section [009] input 019 which I believe is the default for PGM1
This is command output 1

3) In section [501] select option 3,4 Select option 5 if you require a
valid user code to be input.
Option 3 On is PGM1 will operate normally i,e, switch to ground when
activated
Option 4 ON is to set the program output timer
I set option 5 off

4) Set the timer duration in Section [170] (001-255 seconds)

I set mine to 1 sec to test and it is a little more than a squawk which is enough to let an intruder know that he has been seen, without disturbing the neighbourhood.

5) Enter your Envisalink portal on your PC or phone and select Commands (the gear icon next to ARM).Input 1 in the PGM # and hit toggle
Hashtag

Re: Setting off the DSC siren remotely from Envisalink

Post by Hashtag »

Hi eastnwest88,

Another option you may consider is to remotely initiate a System Test of your DSC panel.
This is achieved by entering *6[Master Code]4 in the Custom Sequence section of the portal.

"The system activates all keypad sounders, bells or sirens for 2 seconds and all keypad lights turn on". This function is already built into all PowerSeries panels. You would not need to run additional wires or use the PGM1.

I just tried it on my phone and it worked like a charm. Just remember to warn anyone else in the house before you do this ...... my wife wasn't amused. LOL !

Your method seems to work and that's great ! Sounds like you put some thought into it. Less digits to enter / remember when you are entering them on the portal. The only thing I would be concerned about is the fact that PGM1 is rated for only 50Ma. A typical siren (I believe) draws around 500 mA, which is substantially more. Not sure if this could damage your panel ....

Anyway, something for you to try.

Take care.
eastnwest88

Post by eastnwest88 »

Hi Hashtag,

Thanks for the tip on using the test mode to set off the Siren.
It is perfect to use when trying to scare off an intruder as it is only 2 secs.

I did consider the 50ma limitation on the pgm1 but mistakenly thought if I connected the ground only it would be OK. I think they probably have a limiting resistor in the circuit.

Anyways yours it a MUCH better method. I will test it out tomorrow when no one is home
sg1973

Post by sg1973 »

This sequence only works if the alarm is not set. Sending the signal to the panel when the alarm is set will turn the alarm off. You can then send the test code. Just be aware that if you do this remotely you would have to re-arm the alarm after sending the test.

sg
Konstigt

Post by Konstigt »

eastnwest88 wrote:Since I could not get anyone to help with setting off a Siren remotely say to scare off an intruder seen on camera,
I did some searches and have a working method to do it

DSC 1832/1864

1) Connect a jumper from PGM1 to Bell - (the negative)

2) In section [009] input 019 which I believe is the default for PGM1
This is command output 1

3) In section [501] select option 3,4 Select option 5 if you require a
valid user code to be input.
Option 3 On is PGM1 will operate normally i,e, switch to ground when
activated
Option 4 ON is to set the program output timer
I set option 5 off

4) Set the timer duration in Section [170] (001-255 seconds)

I set mine to 1 sec to test and it is a little more than a squawk which is enough to let an intruder know that he has been seen, without disturbing the neighbourhood.

5) Enter your Envisalink portal on your PC or phone and select Commands (the gear icon next to ARM).Input 1 in the PGM # and hit toggle
Exccellent! Thanks!

I use this from Home Assistant to give a warning if one of my external motion detectors detect motion while system is armed. These motion detectors are not connected to the DSC Alarm. Then I wait for 30 seconds before I send the Panic event from HA to EnvisaLink. If it's just the family which has triggered it by accident, we have 30 seconds to disarm.
mats

Post by mats »

I'm a little concerned about overloading the PGM.
One fix to that would be to add a small relay and let the PGM control that.
The bell power could be sent through the relay to com instead. Just make sure that your siren doesn't use more than 700ma (max bell power)