Changing DNS Server on Envisalink 3

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

cflalarm

Changing DNS Server on Envisalink 3

Post by cflalarm »

I tried contacting tech support on this issue but didn't get a very satisfying answer. Apparently there is no "direct" way to change the DNS settings in the Envisalink 3 module. He did provide a "method".

So, my IT person tried that method and I set the module to use Dynamic IP so that it would read the routers DNS settings, but it always comes back as 192.168.1.1, which is my routers address, not the true DNS address. It is not reading the router DNS settings at all. This sometimes produces issues resolving addresses and the only sure fire way to fix it, is to use the true DNS setting. I would think that anyone developing a device to work on the internet would understand that and provide some method (even if it is a back-door type solution) to allow you to override the setting.

Any further suggestions?

Michael
DaveSin

Re: Changing DNS Server on Envisalink 3

Post by DaveSin »

Do you know what the IP address is for the EnvisaLink 3 on your Local Area Network (LAN)? Simply type the IP address into your browser (for example, 192.168.1.xx or 192.168.1.xx:80) and you should be prompted for the username (user) and password (cannot remember what the default is...maybe user also or 1234). Once you are logged into the web server of the EnvisaLink, you should be able to change the DHCP to a Static IP and also the 2 DNS servers. I use DNS 1 as: 8.8.4.4 and DNS 2 as: 4.2.2.2!

I hope I understand you question correctly.
cflalarm wrote:I tried contacting tech support on this issue but didn't get a very satisfying answer. Apparently there is no "direct" way to change the DNS settings in the Envisalink 3 module. He did provide a "method".

So, my IT person tried that method and I set the module to use Dynamic IP so that it would read the routers DNS settings, but it always comes back as 192.168.1.1, which is my routers address, not the true DNS address. It is not reading the router DNS settings at all. This sometimes produces issues resolving addresses and the only sure fire way to fix it, is to use the true DNS setting. I would think that anyone developing a device to work on the internet would understand that and provide some method (even if it is a back-door type solution) to allow you to override the setting.

Any further suggestions?

Michael
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

The Envisalink just uses the DNS that it is told to by your router (DHCP server) and not the other way around. So the problem lies with your router, not with the Envisalink.

@DaveSin, the Envisalink only uses the primary so I'm not sure how you can have two DNS servers.
cflalarm

Post by cflalarm »

[quote="GrandWizard"]The Envisalink just uses the DNS that it is told to by your router (DHCP server) and not the other way around. So the problem lies with your router, not with the Envisalink.

Well, you might think that the router would be to blame but when I hook up my laptop AND my iPad to my router, select DHCP, they both return the correct results for my network configuration (not 192.168.1.1). If the router was returning the wrong parameters, why would these work correctly and the Envisalink does not?

One important point here, this is 2014 - not 1995. I have configured a large number of network devices include DMP, DSC and Ademco alarm panels. They ALL allow you to directly control the DNS settings during setup. Maybe in 1995 they assumed you had no need to enter this information but in todays world, you need it. I strongly suggest that the manufacturer work to put this capability into the configuration/setup area. It's almost a no-brainer....
hokie21

Post by hokie21 »

I just tested this by setting my DHCP server in "Tomato" to send the DNS server of 8.8.8.8 instead of the prior configuration of 192.168.0.1 where the router was doing DNS forwarding. I rebooted the Envisalink and it correctly picked up the new DNS sever that the DHCP server provided in its "OFFER" message. I don't know why you're seeing different results between your Envisalink and your other devices. Are you offering more than a single DNS server in your DHCP offer? Wireshark may help you get to the bottom of this, but the Envisalink looks like it is working fine from what i can tell.