Vista Panel Chip level and programming

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

EastTexican

Vista Panel Chip level and programming

Post by EastTexican »

OK, I am new to DIY security but willing to go for it. I have an existing Vista 20P panel wired into my home, but not currently monitored. Everything works ok. The chip in the panel is very old.
1. I am thinking I will install a current level chip, like 9.xx before installing an EVL-3.
2. I have an installation manual available to read and reference.
3. I think I should document all current programming as I will probably lose it when I replace the chip.
4. I should reprogram the new chip and test everything to see that it is ok.
5. I should then buy and install an EVL-3 unit and set it up.

Does this look like a good plan and am I missing anything? Thanks.
GrandWizard

Re: Vista Panel Chip level and programming

Post by GrandWizard »

You don't actually have to upgrade your Vista for it to work with the Envisalink.
EastTexican

Post by EastTexican »

OK, that is good to know that I don't have to upgrade. Further info just to make sure. It is an ADT supplied system, SafeWatch Pro 3000, which I understand is "similar" to Vista 20P. The old chip id is WA3001-1.6.
Anything proprietary that I should know? Or good to go as is? Thanks.
DaveSin

Post by DaveSin »

IF you do decide to replace the SafeWatch Pro 3000 Chip, I would suggest you just replace the entire motherboard, instead of the Chip or just buy a new VISTA 20P Panel for around $60.00 You will need an alphanumeric keypad to program the system once installed. You need something like a 6160/6160V or with an up-to-date (current Chip version, 9.18), the new 6162 (6162, 6162V, 6162RF) Keypads. If I not mistaken, the current Chip version is 9.18 for the 20P. Might as well get a new Transformer also!
EastTexican

Post by EastTexican »

Good ideas and information. I have a general question. Do you have to reprogram a motherboard if you replace the current chip with a higher version?
I saw instructions on how to power down and replace a chip and then power back up. I was thinking maybe programming was stored in the chip but maybe not. Thanks.