Using EVL-3 with an Ipdatatel CBAT CDMA communicator

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Flyct

Using EVL-3 with an Ipdatatel CBAT CDMA communicator

Post by Flyct »

I've been using my Envisalink-3 for a little over a year. It is very reliable as long as there is internet connection. I've also utilized monitoring from Envisalarm but once again it is dependant on internet connection. Twice now my network went down when out of town and the only way to bring it back up was to power cycle the broadband modem/router which required that I be on site to do it.

I initially tried GSM but unfortunately there is lousy signal at my home location for AT&T GSM.

I just received a Ipdatatel CDMA CBAT communicator from Alarm Relay. After installing and talking to their tech support there is a conflict in programming so that both devices can coexist and operate properly. The CBAT requires that my Vista 20P not have long range radio activated. After installing the CBAT I got a Check 103 Long Range Radio Failure. I left *29 selected and went to the EVL-3 setup and selected shadowing and the fault went away. It left a problem where the CBAT sends duplicate events to the monitoring station but my EVL-3 text alert continued to function properly.

With the Long Range radio deselected (and EVL-3 physically disconnected) the CBAT sends proper single events.

The CBAT also has a virtual keypad which is very nice. It is very delayed and not very reliable when trying to set or turn off the alarm.

The other issue with the CBAT is that the texts default on my iPhone as push notifications. I much prefer SMS text as they are easier to retrieve.

I've got a tech support call set up with Alarm Relay and Ipdatatel for tomorrow morning.

I'd like to get both working properly. Any ideas?
GrandWizard

Re: Using EVL-3 with an Ipdatatel CBAT CDMA communicator

Post by GrandWizard »

I've never heard of this device. Does it connect to the Ademco ECP 4-wire bus or to the telephone line? If the device is like an Ademco GSM communicator then you need to have *29 enabled for it to work, and you need to have the Envisalink in "shadow" mode in order to avoid the LRR error.

If the device is just a dumb telephone sniffer, continue with *29 enabled but make sure then Envisalink is NOT in shadow mode.

Alarm Relay installs a lot of Envisalinks so they should be able to figure it our for you.
Flyct

Post by Flyct »

Mr Wizard,

It's a relativly new device.

I connects to both the 4-wire Keypad buss AND the tip and ring. 6 wires connected.

It uses tip and ring to dial out and uses the keypad bus to connect via virtual keypad. (Set to keypad 20)

When i initially wired it up it I got Check 103 long range radio failures. I set the EVL-3 to shadowing and then the LRR failure went way.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

You'll have to take it up with the manufacturer, its not clear how it operates on the ECP bus from what you describe.

The Envisalink is essentially a GSM or IP communicator from the panel's point of view. Ask them how to set up their device if you already have an IP communicator installed.
Flyct

Post by Flyct »

Mr Wizard!

I took your advice and sent an email to Ipdatatel Tech Support. I haven't heard back from them yet BUT this is what I found doing some testing.

With TIP And RING Disconnected from the CBAT I only get single events logged at Alarm Relay.

After disconnecting the TIP and Ring I was getting COM Failures so I deleted the Phone numbers and acct numbers in *41 through *45 and I left the CBAT connected via the 4-wire bus only.

I called their CS and put my acct in test. I set and tripped the alarm. I called the CS they told me that they got "Back Door Perimeter Alarm" and the restore.

I can still use the Ipdatatel virtual keypad and the Envisalink mobile portal to control the alarm.

I tested with Ethernet connected to the CBAT and without and everything works great. With ethernet disconnected it reverts to CDMA for communication and shows "Connection changed to CDMA" on their user web site.

So the CBAT with just the 4-wire keybus connected functions similar to standard GSM just like Envisalink-3.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

It looks like that device will take signals (alarms) from either the phone line OR the ECP. That would explain why you get two events as they go out over both interfaces.

As the Envisalink running in shadow mode?
Flyct

Post by Flyct »

Yes, the Envisalink is running in Shadow mode, and everything is functioning fine.

THANK YOU! The envisalink has got to be one of the most cost effective useful alarm upgrades ever.
Poolman

Post by Poolman »

I've had my EVL3 for a couple years now, recently added Ipdatatel Cbat with monitoring from Alarm Relay.

They initially had to change my settings to get their end working. Initially it wasn't working properly. One thing they did was turn*29 off. I have LRR Shadow enabled. I see this on my portal as a warning.

I am having issues with updates on Smartthings not working properly. Thinking it might be related. Anyone with CBAT and *29 on?