Network Supervision Fault - Line Cut?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

zuefeldt

Network Supervision Fault - Line Cut?

Post by zuefeldt »

I recently installed IP170D. Almost every day I get a series of messaging saying ... "Security Event: Network Supervision Fault - Line Cut?" and "Security Event: Network Supervision Restore". These repeat several times and then stop for a day. Typically thre is about 30 seconds between Fault and Retore messages. What is going on? Sometimes I get only two messages and some days I get 10 or so messages before it quits. Why am I getting these messages?
GrandWizard

Re: Network Supervision Fault - Line Cut?

Post by GrandWizard »

You have network supervision enabled. When it is enabled if your unit stops communicating for more than 5 minutes, it generates a network supervisory error. You get a restore as soon as communications are re-established.

At any one time we see about 1% of our customers in "network supervisory". Sometimes lasting only a few minutes.

Although the messages says "line cut", all we really mean is that your Envisalink has stopped transmitting usually due to network reasons between you and our servers. We know it is not the servers as 99% of our customers are communicating normally.

I would recommend disabling network supervision if it is becoming bothersome.
gdub1984

Post by gdub1984 »

Hi,

If you disable network supervision what are you stopping the unit from doing? To me it sounds like I won't be getting anything sent to me, like a door opening code.

Thanks
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

No, just network supervision notices are stopped. Everything else stays the same.
gdub1984

Post by gdub1984 »

What are "network supervision" notices. Is it just to say the network is connected or not?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Yes, if you network goes out for more than 10 minutes you will get a "Network Supervision Fault". When it restores, you will get a "Network Supervision Restoral".