2DS & mobile page - initial observations & suggestions

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

roningram

2DS & mobile page - initial observations & suggestions

Post by roningram »

Some suggestions based on my first day's experience of the EYEZ-ON webpage on my PC as well as my Blackberry Torch. I have a DSC PC1616 security system, with about a dozen enabled zones, all configured in one partition. I'm using a 2DS with firmware 1.03.33, received and installed a week ago:

EYEZ-ON Mobile browser:

Overall a pretty nice job, but would it be possible to improve it? e.g. ...

I note the posting "Web Interface for mobile" by TimCDN speaks to some of the same issues I'm thinking of. If a user could use your website to personalize and declutter the messaging this would be helpful. Examples:

- Features on the webpage that aren't used, could be suppressed by the user; e.g. Locators, Environmental, Cameras.
- Systems having only 1 partition could be displayed more cleanly by removing all references to 'partition' from the pages.
- Familiarity could be improved by focusing on context;
-- letting users name zones; e.g. "1. Front Lobby" vs "Zone 1" - this could be done by user-maintained 'alias' entries on your website. When one has a lot of zones, the generic names aren't that helpful.
-- letting users define how to display status for each zone, adding context to make more sense to the user; e.g. "MOTION/NO MOTION" vs "OPEN/CLOSED" for front lobby motion detector. "OPEN/CLOSED" doesn't always make sense.

For use on handheld devices, the mobile webpage layout could be more space efficient. Examples:
- The section headers are very large and eat up a lot of valuable screenspace.
- The big 'EyezOn' logo isn't necessary, nor is the 'MOBILE' text. They both eat up a lot of screenspace. The large 'house' icon also adds clutter and eats up a lot of space.
- The 'Status' indicator could be more useful if displayed at the top of the screen. Perhaps beside the 'Home' label, and how about in a titlebar? The 'status' label isn't needed; the user will know what red & green indicate. And you can use yellow for a system that is neither 'armed' or 'disarmed-ready'.
- The [Partition] droplist selector isn't necessary for those installations having only one Partition. Could this be logically hidden from view if there is only one zone defined?
Do the [ARM AWAY] and [ARM STAY] buttons need the accompanying text "ARM without code"? In my system we only know how to set these states by pushing a single button; no code required.
- What is the purpose of the button [Send Reset (#)] ? Is it needed?
- Could you put 'expand/collapse' buttons on section headings? If so, could they be made 'sticky'? Could a titlebar be displayed that always stays visible, not scrolling with the rest of the page?

The tactile feel and intuitiveness could be improved:
- From the EyezOn mobile page, under the section 'Send Command', the control for Arm/Disarm should be labeled 'DISARM' as that is its only purpose (I think).
- Can the PIN data entry field be defaulted to numeric so users don't have to press <alt> before each character is entered? I'm using a BB Torch.
EyezOnRich

Re: 2DS & mobile page - initial observations & suggestions

Post by EyezOnRich »

Hi Ron

Thank-you for you observations and feedback. We are constantly updating and improving our service and base most of these improvements on direct customer feedback. We will include all your observations in our evaluation of features for the next portal revision (both standard and mobile versions).

A couple of points below...
roningram wrote: - Familiarity could be improved by focusing on context;
-- letting users name zones; e.g. "1. Front Lobby" vs "Zone 1" - this could be done by user-maintained 'alias' entries on your website. When one has a lot of zones, the generic names aren't that helpful.
You can already do this. Under the "Zone Grid" on the details page for your security system there are links called "Manage Zone Labels" and "Manage User Names". There you can alias your zone labels on the system as well as user names. i.e. you may see a message like "Opening by User 40" you can alias User 40 to Ron so you will see "Opening by Ron" instead.

We use the terms "open/close" because they are standard security industry terms, but we'll have a look at customization options.
roningram wrote:- The big 'EyezOn' logo isn't necessary
We may feel differently ;)
roningram wrote: The large 'house' icon also adds clutter and eats up a lot of space.
You can customize that picture if you like. In the details screen for the device just click on the picture that is there and you can upload a new one. As we go forward on the portal we will start adding more user options for customization. i.e. User can choose to show picture or not (some people like pictures, some don't). Choose a particular page as the landing page when they log-in etc..
roningram wrote:And you can use yellow for a system that is neither 'armed' or 'disarmed-ready'.

Yellow is reserved for troubles.
roningram wrote:Do the [ARM AWAY] and [ARM STAY] buttons need the accompanying text "ARM without code"? In my system we only know how to set these states by pushing a single button; no code required.
That's a panel setting. It isn't the case on all systems and we can't tell from our end. That is the reason the text is there (more of a disclaimer)
roningram wrote:- What is the purpose of the button [Send Reset (#)] ? Is it needed?
It was part of the set of commands to send arbitrary or custom key sequences to the panel. We are about to re-introduce that feature, so yes you'll potentially need the reset if you send a sequence that leaves you in a submenu on the panel. This key allows you manually "back-up" to the top menu of the panel.

roningram wrote: - From the EyezOn mobile page, under the section 'Send Command', the control for Arm/Disarm should be labeled 'DISARM' as that is its only purpose (I think).
If you don't have "arm without code" enabled on your panel then you must use this to arm and disarm.