Change wording for closing and opening

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

shaywood

Change wording for closing and opening

Post by shaywood »

When my system arms and disarms, evl-3 reports opening and closing. Is it possible to change wording to arm or disarm.
GrandWizard

Re: Change wording for closing and opening

Post by GrandWizard »

In the security industry it is called Opening and Closing and we use the standard terms.
gnolivos

Post by gnolivos »

I agree with the OP. The wording should be changed. The standard industry wording applies to INSTALLERS, not users.

A user manual would most certainly read: "To arm your system, press..."
and not "To close your system, press..."

You get the idea. Cater to users, not installers!
Flyct

Post by Flyct »

I get text and email messages from Envisalink via EVL-3 AND from AlarmRelay/Watchlight server from my Ipdatatel cellular transmitter.

While Envisalink texts "open" and "closed" AlarmRelay/Watchlight central station server transmits the following;

Watchlight Corporation Notification: System Armed - User JR.
2015-01-20 03:54:41 PM EST
Main House

Watchlight Corporation Notification: System Disarmed - User JR
2015-01-20 08:49:04 PM EST
Main House

When I go to the event log at the Ipdatatel web site the listing for signal received shows (open) and (closed).

My wife also gets texts from both servers and much prefers and understands the Armed/Disarmed verbiage better than open/closed.

It took a while for my wife to understand the open and closed doesn't mean that she left a door open or closed.
gnolivos

Post by gnolivos »

Flyct, nice example. Watchlight has it right. Using proper verbiage for the end user where it matters. I wish eyezon would make this simple change.
DaveSin

Post by DaveSin »

I'm in total agreement with the other contributors that we should distinguish Arm and Disarm from Opening and Closing of other Zones.

Just a few days ago, I remotely armed (and then disarmed and armed the system again) the system during the middle of the day and my wife call me on my cell to inquire if I was at home and opened the Front Door. All she saw were the words Closing/Opening/Closing in the text and naturally assumed that it was the Front Door that was Opened/Closed. I indicated to her that she could look at the activity list on her mobile device to see if any zones was recently opened or closed.

At any rate, Arm/Disarm would get around this conflict/ambiguity.
Flyct

Post by Flyct »

GrandWizard wrote:In the security industry it is called Opening and Closing and we use the standard terms.
The industry "standard term" displayed on every Honeywell and DSC Alpha keypads I've seen is ARMED and DISARMED, not open and closed.

I could not imagine the number of tech support calls if OPEN or CLOSED was displayed. Customers after not being able to find the open door or window would be on the phone calling tech support.

Please consider making this change to text and email alerts.
hokie21

Post by hokie21 »

I second this suggestion. Now let's see if anything changes.
Flyct

Post by Flyct »

hokie21 wrote:I second this suggestion. Now let's see if anything changes.
One can only politely recommend.
anzio

Post by anzio »

I definitely agree with this suggestion. This is the first device I've seen to use Opening/Closing for the users panel/notifications. Arming/Disarming is much more clear.

If you want to keep your industry standard wording, what about offering an option in the panel to change your preferred wording? A quick conditional statement on whatever sends the notifications to our email/phones/panel, and voila, all users are satisfied.