"Network Supervision" timeout a bit too sensitive?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

bpsmicro

"Network Supervision" timeout a bit too sensitive?

Post by bpsmicro »

Somewhere in the forums, the reference to the "Line cut" network supervision says that the alert will be triggered if the server doesn't hear from the module for over 5 minutes. What I'm seeing is that I'll get an alert if my internet goes down for even less than 1 minute.
I'm on wireless here, which can be a bit glitchy sometimes (short sporadic dropouts). So I get a fair number of alerts/restores. I'd be much happier if the timeout was just a *wee* bit longer. Some may say 5 minutes is a bit too long, but 2 minutes might be ideal. Can this be adjusted?

Brad.
GrandWizard

Re: "Network Supervision" timeout a bit too sensitive?

Post by GrandWizard »

The current window is set to 300 seconds (5 minutes). Remember, this is not necessarily a test of your Internet connection, it is just a measure of when the last packet was received from your Envisalink by our alerting server. There was one customer who had many supervisory failures each day and it turned out to be a flakey port on his router.
bpsmicro

Re: "Network Supervision" timeout a bit too sensitive?

Post by bpsmicro »

Sorry for the delayed response. I'll monitor this more closely. I don't think this is a hardware failure, because I can pretty much always tie the alert with an actual ISP disconnect (the hazards of wireless ISPs). But my own ISP monitoring software reports outages of under 2 minutes most of the time.
But next time it happens (my connection has been relatively stable of late), I'll see if I can check the website itself and see what it thinks the last report time was.

Brad.