Advice on fire zone programming

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

grabo

Advice on fire zone programming

Post by grabo »

Hi,

Looking for the community's thoughts on the best way to program my 'fire' zone.

I've got hardwired Kidde smokes, and I installed a relay module that I've hooked up to my Vista 20P (Safewatch Pro 3000) panel. I have an Envisalink 3, and I subscribe to Eyezon monitoring.

The logical choice for this zone would be "Fire", but my concern is that every time the smokes get triggered (we cook a lot, they trigger maybe once a month), the monitoring stations hears about it, and the only choice for a fire alarm is for the monitoring station to simultaneously call the fire department and the keyholder.

I don't want the fire department showing up every time we saute' some vegetables - at least not without a call to me, first. In a recent replacement of all the smokes, I've tried to replace the noisy ones with ones that are less susceptible to false alarms, but they still trigger occasionally.

With that in mind, I'm thinking that the "fire" zone type isn't a best choice. I'm thinking that zone type 10 is better, even if it looks like an intrusion zone rather than a fire zone. It'll only trigger when the system is armed in "Away" mode.

Am I on the right track here? Is there a better choice that's the right balance between notifying emergency personnel but only when there's an actual emergency?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Ian_81

Re: Advice on fire zone programming

Post by Ian_81 »

Thanks for asking, I am considering something similar in the near future and have the same cooking/alarm "issues". I like your idea of putting the zone in the away or even night list, but not sure on the monitoring & notification side.

Also not sure about using the Kiddie vs Nest smoke detectors when upgrading.
dcuste

Post by dcuste »

I'm surprised eyez-on monitoring calls the fire department without calling you first. I've had two different monitoring companies over the years and both of them called me first for fire alarms. I probably have one false fire alarm every year and have never had the fire department called. I'm pretty sure that in my town they would start charging me for false alarms.

With that said, I don't have a suggestion other than to try and convince eyez-on to always call you first.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

When you fill out your monitoring form, just indicate that you want the house called first. It's that simple.
grabo

Post by grabo »

GrandWizard wrote:When you fill out your monitoring form, just indicate that you want the house called first. It's that simple.
I signed up this past spring, so there's no form for me to fill out now. I remember when filling it out, though, that it wasn't at all intuitive. I'm trying to figure out what the right choices are to ensure that I'm always contacted first.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

From your Eyezon portal just click on the Envisalarms icon. From there you can see your forms and change them whenever you want.

Just remember to his "Submit" at the bottom of any page you change so that the forms get sent to the central station.