WiFi with EnvisaLink 3

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

grabo

WiFi with EnvisaLink 3

Post by grabo »

Hi,

I wanted to share my success with setting up my EL3 in my Vista20P (Safewatch Pro 3000) panel using WiFi.

My panel is located in a place where running a Cat5 cable would be incredibly inconvenient - lots of drilling, fishing wire, etc. WiFi is a much easier choice.

I used an old Linksys WAP54G running DD-WRT firmware in "client bridge mode", where the device acts as a client on a WiFi network, providing wired ethernet devices access to WiFi. The WAP54G pulls its power directly from the Vista20P panel, eliminating the need for an external power supply (and presumably, some sort of auxiliary battery backup). Just do the calculations to be sure you don't over-tax your power supply. I measured that the WAP54G pulled around 350mA at 12VDC.

WAP54Gs can be found on eBay for around $10.

(You could presumably also use a WRT54G, more readily available, but they presumably pull more power)
fiolin

Re: WiFi with EnvisaLink 3

Post by fiolin »

Hi, thank you to share your experience.
Have you connected the adsl router to an Ups power supply?.
grabo

Post by grabo »

Hi,

My router is connected to a UPS. I have FiOS, and my FiOS ONT has a battery back-up as well.
rickyit

Post by rickyit »

Hi there,

how did you connected the Linksys to the vista panel?

i have dsc power series 1832 and would like to do something like you. Great idea indeed!

Thank you,
Ricky
Kurtg

Post by Kurtg »

I too would really appreciate on how to set up a DSC P1864 panel with a TP-LINK TL-WR802N wireless N router. I cannot seem to get the main router which is a Huawei B880-73 to communicate with the TL-WR802N wirelessly. :?
Many Thanks!
user17600

Post by user17600 »

While I awaited internet connectivity at a new house I set up wifi capabilities with my EVL3.

I used a Belkin Universal (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O8 ... 19&sr=8-19) to connect to a hotspot on a phone as a temporary solution. (FWIW it used about 3MB/data/day)

Basically, I wired the EVL3 to the Universal with a ethernet cable, and plugged the Universal and the hotspot into a multiport USB charger. All internet connectivity was through the phone, and I had full control of the EVL3 and panel.

But using the Universal (or any travel router that can be put into bridge mode) could connect to a wifi router just as easily.

One could get "creative" and power the Universal (or travel router) from the 12v battery backup. Most of those run on 5v so a car adapter would work.

Note: I placed the Universal *outside* the box that the alarm is mounted in because the signal was largely blocked otherwise.

|EVL3| ----ethernet cable-----|Belkin U| ((((( wifi ))))) | Hotspot/router |
Kurtg

Post by Kurtg »

I have successfully connected my system with:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... A4010.html

Seems to be functioning well :D
krazykanuck

Post by krazykanuck »

grabo wrote:The WAP54G pulls its power directly from the Vista20P panel, eliminating the need for an external power supply (and presumably, some sort of auxiliary battery backup). Just do the calculations to be sure you don't over-tax your power supply. I measured that the WAP54G pulled around 350mA at 12VDC.
I presume you simply cut the AC adapter from the power cord of the router and wired the + / - to posts 1 and 2 on the Honeywell board? I'm suddenly think a 15$ router will be simpler than me drilling and climbing in an attic to get the EVL4 connected.
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

grabo wrote:Hi,

My router is connected to a UPS. I have FiOS, and my FiOS ONT has a battery back-up as well.
This is an older post, but be aware that the FIOS ONT's usually only battery back up the phone line, not the internet port (at least this was true a couple years ago.) You should test and/or use a UPS on the FIOS ONT, if you are expecting to have battery backup of the internet connection when you loose local power.
rickyit

Post by rickyit »

krazykanuck wrote:
grabo wrote:The WAP54G pulls its power directly from the Vista20P panel, eliminating the need for an external power supply (and presumably, some sort of auxiliary battery backup). Just do the calculations to be sure you don't over-tax your power supply. I measured that the WAP54G pulled around 350mA at 12VDC.
I presume you simply cut the AC adapter from the power cord of the router and wired the + / - to posts 1 and 2 on the Honeywell board? I'm suddenly think a 15$ router will be simpler than me drilling and climbing in an attic to get the EVL4 connected.
i would like to use a wireless adapter "key" like netgear mce3001 connecting it by ethernet cable to envisalink4 and the power from usb.
my idea would be to buy a transformer 12v to 5v dc ( from aux dsc panel to power the mce3001). would that work?

or have to use a router( but suppose it will draw more current..)

Thank you,
Ricky