Virtual Keypad for programming EVL3 or 4?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

rppower

Re: Virtual Keypad for programming EVL3 or 4?

Post by rppower »

it wasn't before but since it didn't work I changed it back to "user" hoping it would work but still no go. As mentioned before, it works on the web interface using the ip address in google chrome and that password.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (8.62 KiB) Viewed 12114 times
birdsofprey02

Post by birdsofprey02 »

I seem to be having the same problem. I can connect to the TPI but when it says login, I enter "user" and it says FAIL. I haven't changed the default password and the web GUI works fine.

I also notice on the web GUI that it says offline, but I figured that was just because I hadn't connected to it successfully yet. Any thoughts? I am using putty and just made the connection raw and used the port as described. This is a Envisalink 4, brand new today.
nhMike

Post by nhMike »

I would also be interested in a keypad with the web app. Are there any plans to implement something like that in the near future?
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

rppower wrote:it wasn't before but since it didn't work I changed it back to "user" hoping it would work but still no go. As mentioned before, it works on the web interface using the ip address in google chrome and that password.
There was a bug in some older revisions of firmware related to a string overflow on the password. It was addressed on the EVL4 for sure but I'm not sure about the 3. To test this switch to a 6 character password exactly and see if that works. If it does than this is the problem and you won't be able to go back to 4 digit passwords again.

This may be fixed in the latest release of the EVL3 but I'm not 100%
rppower

Post by rppower »

Thanks for the reply K-Man. I tried that already but gave it another try just in case and no luck..
birdsofprey02

Post by birdsofprey02 »

@rrpower,

Not really sure about the why/how yet but I still couldn't get any combination of telnet/putty to work connecting into my Envisalink4 with default pw:user with my Windows laptop.

I fired up my iMac and gave it a try in terminal and just typed: #telnet <ip address> 4025 and it replied back "LOGIN" and I typed "user" and it got me in. I do the exact same thing on my windows using putty or a telnet app and it either gives me a login failed or putty just disappears. (Even after I exit the session on my mac).

I'm not much of a developer, nor do I care to translate any messages, but I did find the TPI helpful as I did not have an alpha pad. I found that if I used my standard text keypad, I could see alpha text output on the TPI interface. At least that was helpful so I wasn't programming completely blind. I was finally able to delete 2 zones from a room that no longer has doors and the sensors are gone. (before I moved in, the garage was converted).

hope that helps
rppower

Post by rppower »

thanks for the input birdsofprey02, this is great info!

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac at hand but I tried a few telnet apps for Iphone. None worked in telnet and none had the "raw" protocol.

Perhaps Eyez-On guys will fix this issue in a firmware release... or they will come up with a virtual keypad if they have enough requests!!! :P
rppower

Post by rppower »

@birdsofprey02

I used Hyper V and built a VM with Ubuntu then tried to telnet in my EVL3 and guess what? it works!! It doesn't request a username though, I just type in the password.

So we are able to connect with OSX and Linux but not from M$... Anyone has a clue on why it won't work with Putty? I don't think it makes sense to keep a linux VM as a work around...
centauri61032

Post by centauri61032 »

hokie21 wrote:
rppower wrote: without a land line or an alphanumeric keypad, there is no way to program my vista 20p.
Compass software, telephone line simulator, modem.
Honeywell published a simple circuit in a bulletin that can be used in place of an actual telco line simulator.
Hey Hokie!
Any chance you can provide a link to the Honeywell bulletin you mentioned? About the simulator circuit?
Thanks!
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

rppower wrote:@birdsofprey02

I used Hyper V and built a VM with Ubuntu then tried to telnet in my EVL3 and guess what? it works!! It doesn't request a username though, I just type in the password.

So we are able to connect with OSX and Linux but not from M$... Anyone has a clue on why it won't work with Putty? I don't think it makes sense to keep a linux VM as a work around...
We use Putty on Windows machines all the time in tech-support. Just don't use a Telnet session, use the RAW session. Telnet sends extra charaters for screen formatting that don't follow the protocol and can mess up the login sequence.