Virtual Keypad for programming EVL3 or 4?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

rppower

Re: Virtual Keypad for programming EVL3 or 4?

Post by rppower »

well problem SOLVED!! It turns out that the fact that it worked in my VM was just luck... The real reason that it worked was that I did this on a desktop which is hardwired to my router. All other attempts were made on my laptop which was only WIFI. I tried it again using a network cable on my laptop and it works.

I have no clue on why it acts that way since I always get the login screen, wired or wireless but somehow it rejects my password if I use the WIFI connection.

Anyone else can confirm this behavior?
user17600

Post by user17600 »

rppower: do you have AP isolation set on your router? That might block IP to IP wireless connections.
rppower

Post by rppower »

no, as mentioned I can connect to my evl3, it prompts me for login and then rejects the password. If AP Isolation was enabled, I wouldn't be able to connect to it or see any other devices in my network.

I don't know, maybe there is some kind of security forcing a wired connection? I've seen some programs that had to be copied on the local computer to execute, it would not run if on a NAS.. maybe it's something like that?

Anyways, first things first, anyone can confirm the same behavior on their computer? Putty rejects the password on a wireless connection but works just fine when wired.
birdsofprey02

Post by birdsofprey02 »

rppower wrote:no, as mentioned I can connect to my evl3, it prompts me for login and then rejects the password. If AP Isolation was enabled, I wouldn't be able to connect to it or see any other devices in my network.

I don't know, maybe there is some kind of security forcing a wired connection? I've seen some programs that had to be copied on the local computer to execute, it would not run if on a NAS.. maybe it's something like that?

Anyways, first things first, anyone can confirm the same behavior on their computer? Putty rejects the password on a wireless connection but works just fine when wired.
@rppower, sorry it took me a while to check this message. I can confirm your thoughts as well. My windows computer using putty (raw or telnet) did NOT work and it IS on my wifi. My iMac is on my local LAN, using the same switch as the Envisalink card and its terminal connection DOES work.

I have full control of my router, definitely no internal port blocking or firewall in place. No weird windows port blocking either. As you mention, we're getting the login prompt, just password wrong if we use wifi.

If I have some time tonight, I'll try the exact same windows laptop and plug it into my switch and turn off wifi and try the connection.
guinness

Post by guinness »

I've created a command line application that can be run from the console to act as a virtual keypad, see https://github.com/mguinness/ConsoleKeypad for more details. Basically it will display the messages and indicators from the panel in real time and allows you send key presses to arm/disarm etc.

Code: Select all

Connected.  Enter a number, *, # or q to quit.
DISARMED BYPASS  |   Ready to Arm                         AC CHIME READY
I have this running on a RPI on my local network so I can control my alarm panel remotely via SSH (it's not secure to access port 4025 remotely). If you have any questions you can ask here or create an issue on the GitHub repo. This only works for Ademco and not DSC panels.