Trouble with Asus AC RT-AC68W Router

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

oilspot

Trouble with Asus AC RT-AC68W Router

Post by oilspot »

I recently upgraded to a new AC1900 router and am having trouble with configuration. Envisalink says it is a router problem, with no known work around. Asus has no clue what to do and says it is a camera issue.

Here's the deal, I can use the Eyezon app to see my system and cameras when I'm at work, but when at home I can't see the cameras.

So the port forwarding is working otherwise I couldn't see the cameras from work.

However something in the router prevents me from seeing the cameras when I'm at home (or using the pan/tilt functions). I have foscam 8918W cameras and Asus RT-AC68W router.

There has got to be a solution, but I can't find it!!
Cobra

Re: Trouble with Asus AC RT-AC68W Router

Post by Cobra »

You mention AC68W and AC1900 in your post, are you running two routers at once? Or is one the new one and one the old one? Are they both still connected?

Do you have any private networks setup internally (DMZ or filtering that prevents local connections on wifi from accessing local addresses?)
oilspot

Post by oilspot »

You mention AC68W and AC1900 in your post, are you running two routers at once? Or is one the new one and one the old one? Are they both still connected?

Do you have any private networks setup internally (DMZ or filtering that prevents local connections on wifi from accessing local addresses?)
Hello the AC68W is the primary router - it was advertised as AC1900 type router. I didn't mean for it to be confusing. DMZ and filtering are disabled.

My previous router was a DLink DIR655n, which worked fine once I set up port forwarding. I was having some trouble with speed on the DLink router when I had a lot of users (cameras, TV streaming, personal devices, etc.). So someone advised me to upgrade my router. It seemed to help with the speed issue despite the fact I don't have any AC devices yet.

A few weeks ago I set up the DLink router as an access point to extend coverage in my home. Ironically for about 6 hours after adding the DLink router to the network I could see my cameras. Then it was back to normal.

Sometimes if I reset the AC68W router, I can see the cameras one time. Then it is back to no visibility inside my network.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

It is an ASUS problem and we see it all the time. The router will not let a LAN device access another LAN device through the port-forward cone.

Here's the scenario , you have your camera with internal IP 192.168.0.100 and you've set up a port-foward on port 8080. Now let's assume your WAN IP is currently 100.100.100.100.

If you're using your mobile phone on WiFi on your LAN, it may have a local IP of 192.168.0.22. If you try and connect to your camera through the port-foward...

192.168.0.22 -> 100.100.100.100:8080 (No go)

.. the router won't allow this even though every other router on the market seems to have no problem with this simple translation.

If you turn off your mobile phone's wifi on go onto your carrier's data network, then your IP is no longer on the same LAN as the camera and the router allows the route...

55.66.89.23 -> 100.100.100.100:8080 (All Good)

The only work around is to create 2 camera instances for each camera: one for use internally and one externally. Pain in the butt but the only known way to get around the router's deficiency.
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Ah, interesting. I run an ASUS router internally, but have Verizon FIOS and the camera forwarding is done in the FIOS router, rather than the internal ASUS router. Sorry to hear they have a problem.
oilspot

Post by oilspot »

GrandWizard wrote:It is an ASUS problem and we see it all the time. The router will not let a LAN device access another LAN device through the port-forward cone.

Here's the scenario , you have your camera with internal IP 192.168.0.100 and you've set up a port-foward on port 8080. Now let's assume your WAN IP is currently 100.100.100.100.

If you're using your mobile phone on WiFi on your LAN, it may have a local IP of 192.168.0.22. If you try and connect to your camera through the port-foward...

192.168.0.22 -> 100.100.100.100:8080 (No go)

.. the router won't allow this even though every other router on the market seems to have no problem with this simple translation.

If you turn off your mobile phone's wifi on go onto your carrier's data network, then your IP is no longer on the same LAN as the camera and the router allows the route...

55.66.89.23 -> 100.100.100.100:8080 (All Good)

The only work around is to create 2 camera instances for each camera: one for use internally and one externally. Pain in the butt but the only known way to get around the router's deficiency.
I only have four cameras, so I'd be willing to give the the pain in the butt solution a try rather than scrap the router.

Such a shame that Asus tech support is so terrible. I tried to explain this to them and they did not understand. So a poor review is the in the works. Really disappointed in Asus!