EVL4 Installation questions

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

wesly

EVL4 Installation questions

Post by wesly »

Dear all,

I would like to ask a few newbie questions concerning the installation of my newly bought EnvisaLink 4 into my Vista20 system.

1. According to the "Envisalink 4 - Honeywell Documentation" I have to disconnect power to the panel. How would I do this without losing all saved zone configuration? Do I have to remove a cable (if so which ones in this picture -click here )?

2. According to the "Envisalink 4 - Honeywell Documentation" I have to wire the EVL4 to the keypad bus terminal (and not the tip/ring terminal). Can anyone confirm that the keypad bus terminal is the one I marked in this picture- click here (as I do not know how to identify the terminal/busses)?

3. Step 6 of the Envisalink 4 manual (see screenshot- click here) says I have to enter the mac address of the envisalink 3. I assume this is a typo (or do I need a EVL3 in addition to the EVL4)?

4. What is the rubber padding for included in the box (see screenshots - click here).

Best regards,
Wesly
Last edited by wesly on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
wesly

Re: EVL4 Installation questions

Post by wesly »

Can anyone please help me with the above questions?
I can't wait to install this module (as I need it for my security), but I can't proceed without these answers
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

There are no pictures attached to your posting.

1. You will not lose your programming when you remove power. Settings are stored in non-volatile memory.

2. There are full pictures of the connections in the manual

3. Yes, that would be a typo

4. The foam rubber two-way tape give Honeywell users an option of mounting without standoffs as the hole pattern on the Envisalink aligns to DSC "cans" and not Honeywell.
wesly

Post by wesly »

GrandWizard wrote:There are no pictures attached to your posting.

1. You will not lose your programming when you remove power. Settings are stored in non-volatile memory.

2. There are full pictures of the connections in the manual

3. Yes, that would be a typo

4. The foam rubber two-way tape give Honeywell users an option of mounting without standoffs as the hole pattern on the Envisalink aligns to DSC "cans" and not Honeywell.
Thanks for your reply GrandWizard.
I put links to the pictures instead of attaching them to the post. Could you please tell me if I marked the right bus (and which cable I need to remove for power cut-off)?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Hmmm, those links don't appear if you are not logged into the forum. I see them now.

Yes, it is the same bus used by your keypads. Terminals 4,5,6 and7. Follow the exsiting colour coding.

The AC power connection is on terminals 1 and 2. Just remove the battery and the wire on terminal 1. That will cut the power to the system.
wesly

Post by wesly »

Thank you again for your reply GrandWizard.
And thanks for bearing with my newbie questions.

I marked the terminal 1 wire in the picture below. So I assume this is the wire I have to remove...
But what do I have to do to remove the battery?

I also see the greenyellow/red/black wires on the marked spot. I assume I have to connect the EVL4 to those points...

see this link if the picture doesn't load
Last edited by wesly on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
wesly

Post by wesly »

I got these sources on disconnecting the power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_jJwtaf4I

https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-do-yo ... trol-panel

Both seem to verify that I need to first disconnect the main power (eg by disconnecting wire 1 or wire 2) and then disconnect the battery (by disconecting one of the spade leads).
To restore power I need to first connect the battery back and then connect the main power.

The marking in my picture above seems wrong, I marked terminal 11 as powerline instead of terminal 1 (doh!).
The EVL4 connection terminals do seem right I believe.

I think I'm going to try this sunday. Wis me luck all!
user17600

Post by user17600 »

Is there a reason you don't simply unplug the wall wart and disconnect the battery (which is more than adequate for 'mains disconnect')? Is your system hardwired to power or something?

I've only installed 3-4 of these, but the only wires I ever worked with for the EVL install was to loosen in sequence the 4 wires required for actually connecting the EVL.

To power down the panel, I disconnected the battery and the wall wart. Never disconnected a power wire in the panel.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Hardwired AC is always recommended by the manufacturers. You use a wal-wart when you have no other option.

You are no longer allowed to fasten wal-warts into receptacles for safety reasons so they will eventually fall out.
wesly

Post by wesly »

Thank you all for the help. I installed it yesterday.
The installation went fine (got 5 green leds in no time).

I can now arm/disarm the system remotely and get email notifications (which is great)!

But I have one big problem:
Everytime when I arm/disarm then the monitoring central numbers are being dialed. I put my number there aswell (to get a phonecall incase of emergency. 8 calls if no handshake).
This was an acceptable solution to get notified incase of emergencies (sms doesn't work for my carrier).
But I don't want to receive the phone calls after every arm/disarm action.

Is this a known problem or did I misconfigure something?

If it's possible I would like to receive the phone calls for emegencies only besides the email notifications (the email notifications can be for every event).
Please help me solve this last issue in this very fine envisalink + vista 20p system.
Last edited by wesly on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.