Late Alerts to my iPhone and email

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

robertseyez

Late Alerts to my iPhone and email

Post by robertseyez »

I have my Envisalink set up to provide text alerts (opening, closing, etc) to my iPhone and my email box. The email (Yahoo account) is NOT connected to my iPhone but only accessible through my desktop computer. Fairly often the email alerts arrive somewhat late to my email box--sometimes as much as an hour or more. But, until this morning, the text alerts to my iPhone have typically arrived within a minute or two of closing/opening. Today, however, the text alert arrive an hour late. As it turned out the corresponding email alert arrive on time.
Can you suggest what might be the problem here and how I might remedy it? Also, with my email alerts often arriving late, would I be better served using an email provider other than Yahoo-maybe Gmail or some other one?
Any help here will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
jac1987

Re: Late Alerts to my iPhone and email

Post by jac1987 »

About the email alerts, I use iCloud email and I get the alerts with 1-3 seconds delay so I think is pretty good
John Clark

Post by John Clark »

I've noticed this happening, as well. For example, running a DSC 1864, I'll arm in Stay using the "Stay" shortcut key and expect to get two emails; one for special closing and one for Home stay mode. I'll often get just one, and then 10-15 minutes later get the other. Other times they'll both come at the same time. The email I'm using is an Outlook.com account and they are late arriving to my phone but also late arriving to the web mail inbox.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Alerts are transmitted within milliseconds of the events happening. If there are any delays they are with your service providers, not with us.

If you submit a tech support request we can actually give you the transmission logs showing this.

We are proud of our free service that gives home owners their security systems back; we stand behind it 100%
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

GrandWizard wrote:Alerts are transmitted within milliseconds of the events happening. If there are any delays they are with your service providers, not with us.
That has been my experience.

I got my Honeywell Vista 20P set up last weekend. Alarms and non-time-sensitive events go to both her email and mine. Hers to the mailserver I operate at home, on our business class cable circuit, mine on a virtual server, elsewhere.

We each get the emails within a second or two of arm/disarm.

I've got alarms and network outages also being SMS'd to us both. I haven't tested that, yet. I will say this: I know, from personal experience, these two things:
  • Texting (SMS/MMS) is not a reliable delivery system. I've Had Words with providers, about this. They know it. They don't care. They will blithely drop stuff on the floor and are unapologetic about excessively long (sometimes days) delivery delays. (This is why I have alarms going to both email and SMS.)
  • Freemail is worth what you pay for it. IME and IMO, as a professional email systems Administrator: Hotmail is probably the worst. Gmail is probably the best. But, if you really want your email delivered: Pay for it.
GrandWizard wrote: If you submit a tech support request we can actually give you the transmission logs showing this.

Side note: I was astonished to to be informed, when talking to an Nth-level tech. support droid at one of the carriers that, at least according to him, they did not log the progress/processing of text messages. I've had I.T. colleagues on the 'net relate to me the same stories.
GrandWizard wrote: We are proud of our free service that gives home owners their security systems back; we stand behind it 100%
And well you should be, if my experience (admittedly: Only about a week, so far) is any guide.
John Clark

Post by John Clark »

GrandWizard wrote:Alerts are transmitted within milliseconds of the events happening. If there are any delays they are with your service providers, not with us.

If you submit a tech support request we can actually give you the transmission logs showing this.

We are proud of our free service that gives home owners their security systems back; we stand behind it 100%
Ok, looking closer it seems you're right (I know, not a shocker--my Envisalink has been some of the best money I ever spent.) Looking at the message headers (which I should have done first) the mail makes it to Outlook.com nearly instantly, but just isn't delivered to the inbox right away. For whatever reason Outlook.com is now slowing down delivery of multiple emails from individual senders.

For example, I sent two emails nearly simultaneously from my work O-365 account and they both went right through to my Outlook.com account with no issues. I guess MS trusts their own systems. However, I did the same from my GMail account and the first email came nearly instantly. The second took another few minutes. Subsequent emails even longer. This is what's happening with my Eyezon emails.

It's really annoying since there is nothing I can find about this throttling anywhere on the web. Everything you read says "this can be a problem with your email sender." I've added the address to safe senders list but it doesn't do any good. You basically have no control over it. Not very convenient, to say the least.

Any other Hotmail, Windows Live, or Outlook.com users seeing this?
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

John Clark wrote: ...
Looking at the message headers (which I should have done first) the mail makes it to Outlook.com nearly instantly, but just isn't delivered to the inbox right away. For whatever reason Outlook.com is now slowing down delivery of multiple emails from individual senders.
It's really annoying since there is nothing I can find about this throttling anywhere on the web. Everything you read says "this can be a problem with your email sender." I've added the address to safe senders list but it doesn't do any good. You basically have no control over it. Not very convenient, to say the least.
You do have control over it: Use a better email service provider.

Hotmail/Outlook.com/whatever-it-they're-calling-it-now has a long, long reputation for unreliable delivery. No freemail provider can be trusted, but, MS' email services are some of the worst, IME and IMO.

Some email server software has the ability to set up separate outgoing mail queues, based on destination. (The software I use does.) It's been a while since I hung out on the mailing list for the mailserver software I use, but, back when I did, it was not uncommon for some higher-volume email sites to set up a separate outgoing queue for MS destinations, so the backlog wouldn't delay email being sent elsewhere on the 'net.
John Clark wrote:Any other Hotmail, Windows Live, or Outlook.com users seeing this?
I administer the mail servers where I work. I just had an end-user complain, w/in the last couple weeks or so, about a business correspondent not getting email he'd sent. I checked our server logs. The emails had been sent and accepted by MS' servers. So, yes: Not a MS mail system user: But I've seen the effects.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it may be worth.
John Clark

Post by John Clark »

I realize I can change providers. However, the Exchange Active Sync is much better than other free providers like GMail, who used to have EAS but dumped it, and others.

This just recently started happening with my EyezOn system armed emails. They have been coming very timely until just the last few weeks and I've had the Outlook.com email for over three years. That's what prompted me to come here and see if anyone else had the issue.
jac1987

Post by jac1987 »

Never had problem using gmail and gmail iPhone app as well as iCloud email. Emails always get right away and haven't missed any alert.

Just my experience......
John Clark

Post by John Clark »

GMail's mail is OK. It's the calendar and contact sync that always gave me trouble (Caldav & Carddav.) That's why I went to MS with EAS. Anyway, that's off topic.

FWIW, sometimes the mails come timely and sometimes one still trails the other by 10-20 minutes. It's clear it's not a problem with anything on the alarm or Envisalink/EyezOn side. Thanks to everyone who's responded. Maybe someone else with Hotmail, Live, or Outlook.com will be helped by this.

John