Two EnvisaLink on one DSC Panel?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

CarlL

Two EnvisaLink on one DSC Panel?

Post by CarlL »

Is it possible to install two separate EnvisaLink devices on the same DSC 832 panel? My desire is to set them up with different internet access, and have one with fewer/different notifications. I have one installed and working fine, but am hesitant to install a second just to test. I also have two regular keypads on the system.
Thank you
GrandWizard

Re: Two EnvisaLink on one DSC Panel?

Post by GrandWizard »

Yes you can but I'm trying to understand why you would? Can you explain your requirements, maybe I can help you out.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Thanks. As I mentioned in my original post, I want the second device to be connected to a separate internet connection (different router, different ISP), and would set up different alert/reporting requirements.

My DSC panel is a number of years old, has two PC5532 style keypads, and two PC108 zone expander cards. When I added the EnvisaLink, it was a plug and play operation, nothing had to be done other than power the system up and it worked. Would that be the case if a second device was added, or would there be some configuration required (in either the alarm system or the EnvisaLink)? I do not see anywhere that the EnvisaLink itself could be configured manually.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

If it was just a matter of different reporting options, you can do that now. But if you are trying to have a completely redundant system then yes, you can do this.

No, there is no configration required. Just add the second unit like you did the first. You might want to watch your power requirements though.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Excellent, thank you for the information. The redundant reporting is the primary goal, but I will also set the redundant path to do less reporting - alarms only as opposed to openings/closings which the initial system is doing.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

And a quick follow-up to acknowledge success. No problems at all. Thanks again.
beginnerparanoiac

Post by beginnerparanoiac »

I would like to have two network paths for the panel to reach the internet. One approach would be to add a second envisalink as discussed in the thread above. If I do that, and I have envisalarm service - do I need to have two (duplicate) envisalarm monitoring arrangements? Will the EO portal show a new "Location" - or - is there a way of expressing that the two modules are attached to the same single alarm panel and are simply alternate paths for communication?

I do not need the modules configured differently - I'm perfectly happy with the configurability for notifications using a single module, so the second module is *only* to provide redundant communication capability. This is simply to cover a case where someone cuts one network connection, and only arises since it's easy for me to provide the alternative network path.

--alternatively-- If I had a router which could handle two "wan" ports - it could presumably ship packets over the working path -- and in that case -- similar questions - two monitoring arrangements, or one - and two "Locations" or one location with multiple IP's?
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

beginnerparanoiac wrote:--alternatively-- If I had a router which could handle two "wan" ports - it could presumably ship packets over the working path -- and in that case -- similar questions - two monitoring arrangements, or one - and two "Locations" or one location with multiple IP's?
If I were going to do it: That's the way I would.

My home network's border router is an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite ("ERLite"). It can have two WAN ports and do WAN load balancing and/or failover. Since my backup WAN would probably be

Wireless LTE <-> Mobile HotSpot <-> WiFi bridge <-> router

I'd put in place firewall rules to limit traffic to just the EVL, on failover.
jac1987

Post by jac1987 »

I guess it it easier to get a router with dual wan, you can get new hardware like the router recommended above or check if your actual router is supported by firmware like tomato usb, some fork have dual wan feature that let you use 1 lan port as wan 2 or use an USB port as wan 2
beginnerparanoiac

Post by beginnerparanoiac »

Ok then - seems a dual WAN router is the best idea - so I've obtained one that is "extra basic" and simply does failover (no bonding etc).
Answer on the "two sites" - with different WAN addresses, the EO servers seem to adapt just fine - they see the same EVL module and it
"just works" when I change the path to the network. Good stuff, thanks all.