Sharing an experience to help others

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

JAlexander

Sharing an experience to help others

Post by JAlexander »

I had a problem. I had a storage barn that was too far out for the DSC wireless to work and my buildings are metal, making signals even more of a challenge. Getting a wire wasn't a good option because of an asphalt parking lot. I finally decided to install a separate DSC hard wired system in the new barn. I added a 2DS and connected it with a wireless ethernet converter. I could install the wireless ethernet converter positioned next to a gable end vent, on the inside of the barn. So everything is protected from the weather. I opted for a wireless ethernet converter with multiple ethernet ports. That gave us the bonus of a wired network inside the new barn.
I know that wireless has it's negative points. But installing a new telephone line was too costly. Using the cellular adapters are also expensive to install and you have the monthly expense. So far, our system has been solid, even with bad weather.
I'm sure there are numerous options of wireless ethernet converters. I used a Buffalo WLI-TX4-AG300N. Until Envisalink gives us a wireless option, maybe this would work for others out there.
GrandWizard

Re: Sharing an experience to help others

Post by GrandWizard »

Thanks for sharing. Quite a few people have asked about wireless extenders so your feedback will be of great benefit.
quatchi

Re: Sharing an experience to help others

Post by quatchi »

I was house sitting for a friend, for a couple of weeks. He has an alarm system, but not monitored. I only went there every couple of days, but I would not if something happened the rest of the time. So I poped in a IP100 at the time, and rather then running cables down the hallway, and down the stairs, I used a powerline network adapter, one at the panel, and one at the router.

Needless to say, when he came back, he liked what it can do, so he now has one permanemtly installed and wired properly.