EnvisAlarm monitoring if Internet line cut

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

cinergi

EnvisAlarm monitoring if Internet line cut

Post by cinergi »

Hello,

I'm tempted to switch my DSC system over to EnvisAlarm IP monitoring (currently I'm using a DSC 3G3070 cellular module for monitoring). The problem is, a burglar could easily cut the Internet line, similar to cutting the phone line on non-IP-enabled systems. This is a showstopper for me, which is why I currently use a cellular module. I've thought about using an Ethernet to HSPA / LTE gateway or "hotspot" device to provide IP connectivity over the cellular network. Is anyone doing this? Any suggestions for a suitable gateway, preferably one with battery backup in case of power failure?

I already have an EV-3 module but am not using it for my primary monitoring due to the line cut concern.

Thanks,
cinergi
cinergi

Re: EnvisAlarm monitoring if Internet line cut

Post by cinergi »

Nobody uses a wireless (cellular) "hotspot" device with their EnvisAlarm service? What happens when the Internet line is cut, which any burglar would be foolish not to do before breaking in? Seems to me the entire security system is useless without wireless connectivity, unless the Internet line is inaccessible (e.g. buried).

-cinergi
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

A lot of customers use GSM service for the Envisalink. We get asked by the service providers because they want to budget their wireless traffic which is about 150MB/month if you want to know. Most are in remote areas where traditional Internet connections are not available.

No burglar is going to take the time cut your Internet connection before they break-in BTW. In the 20 years I've been in the business I've never heard of a residence (not commerical site) with a signed, buglary alarm system, have their phone-line cut before a break-in.

Why? In urban areas residential theives are either Pros or Punks.

Pros don't give a dang about monitoring as they know it will be between 10 and 60 minutes before any cop is going to show up to an empty home. Remember, loss of property is the lowest priority on their list. Pros are usally looking for your car keys or just go straight to the bedroom for the jewerlry; in and out in a minute.

Punks are just that, looking for a crime of opportunity and will wet themselves as soon as your big siren (you do have a big siren right?) goes off.

Don't get me wrong, the advantages of GSM over using your own Internet connection are evident, but mainly to protect against power outages or service provider outages, not line cut. We still sometimes call our network supervision feature "line-cut", but really it is more to notify you that your Internet connection is down for some reason, potential line cut included.

Big siren, signs and my Envisalink. That's all I use and I work for the company.

K
cinergi

Post by cinergi »

Thanks, interesting. I had assumed that all burglars would cut the line because it is so easy to do and takes away some of the time pressure during a robbery, with no drawbacks. If I were a burglar (which I am not), I would definitely do it :-).

Yes, I have a big siren - 2 in fact. And a very short entry delay that annoys my wife :-).

I love my EV-3 module, and using it for primary monitoring would be the natural next step. The native IP signaling is much faster than my current setup, in which the DSC cellular module emulates an analog phone line for the main panel, which has to dial a 10-digit phone number, establish the connection using its analog modem, and send its alarm signal to the cellular module, which then converts it to an IP packet and finally sends it out through the cellular network. Not very efficient... I'm just a bit worried about the line cut issue, but your post makes me feel better about it.

-cinergi
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

cinergi wrote:Nobody uses a wireless (cellular) "hotspot" device with their EnvisAlarm service?
I might eventually add a cellular device to my network.

My border router (I have the cable modem in a kind of "bridging" mode and use my own router) has three interfaces. One is currently unused. I could put a cellular device on that third port and configure the router for failover to that if the cable connection goes Tango Uniform. I'd put rules on that connection to limit traffic to just the EnvisaStuff ™, so my wireless bill wouldn't go through the roof.
cinergi

Post by cinergi »

Crikey wrote:My border router (I have the cable modem in a kind of "bridging" mode and use my own router) has three interfaces. One is currently unused. I could put a cellular device on that third port and configure the router for failover to that if the cable connection goes Tango Uniform. I'd put rules on that connection to limit traffic to just the EnvisaStuff ™, so my wireless bill wouldn't go through the roof.
Let me guess, you have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter? :-) I have a similar setup with an ER-POE, which also has 3 routed interfaces. I've also thought of doing this (failover) instead of connecting the EnvisaLink directly to a cellular module, which would expose it to the Internet with no firewall (or at best, whatever crappy firewall is provided by the cellular device).

Any thoughts on a suitable low-cost cellular device? I've seen industrial units for $300-500 but this seems excessive.

Thanks,
cinergi
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

cinergi wrote:Let me guess, you have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter? :-)
Yeah, an ERLite :)
cinergi wrote:Any thoughts on a suitable low-cost cellular device? I've seen industrial units for $300-500 but this seems excessive.
Hadn't really gotten so far as to research suitable wireless devices. Looks like Huawei makes several that are compatible with my carrier, have Ethernet ports and cost less than $200.
stevec

Post by stevec »

I registered for an account to be able to chime in on this - I had the same questions!

I previously had a cellular and IP communicator but paying the premium for the cellular monitoring just felt like too much. When my 2G cellular communicator was no longer supported, I opted to go for an IP-only communicator (DSC TL-260) and just make the IP path resilient.

Using a Peplink SOHO (specifically their new MK3 model with refreshed specs) for $180, I am able to use my cable modem for primary internet and have rules configured to allow only my EVL-4, home automation controller, and my DSC IP communicator out over a pay-as-you-go 4G modem. When the cable modem path isn't working, those few devices still have connectivity and it's worked perfectly.

The Peplink SOHO runs on 12vdc at 26W max which makes battery backup very easy to address the powerfail situation that is really the most frequent cause of disruption on the cable modem network.

Pay-as-you-go service is from Tello (at 2c/mb) on the Sprint network which works fine for me in my area but there are many ways to solve that piece.
jimmyjam

Post by jimmyjam »

I too recently put together my alarm system with an EVL-4, and after searching for a cellular failover solution, I finally realized that my existing hardware already supports it. I have an Asus wifi router (N66) presently running Merlin firmware, although I think the feature is available in the stock firmware as well. There is an option to support a second WAN interface over the USB port, IE a USB LTE modem, and options to configure it as load balancing between them or failover/failback. Just have to figure out how to ensure only traffic that I want goes over LTE so I don't end up maxing it out on a netflix stream by accident. Or I could optionally route all EVL-4 traffic over the LTE connection, as long as it stays comfortably under 500MB/month that is another option.

Cellular failover plus a UPS on my network panel has me feeling pretty confident using EVL-4 now.
Some info for those interested:
http://www.techpoy.com/2014/11/asus-rt- ... et-up.html
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I have a Netgear 6100D LTE Gateway, costs $3.99 a month for 500mb on FreedomPop.

My Comcast plugs in the wan port of the 6100D as long as there is internet coming in, the LTE sits idle and I use zero mb of LTE.

If the Comcast goes down it fails over to the LTE and the EVL4 stays online.