Audible Alarm on Mobile Phone

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

mwortham

Audible Alarm on Mobile Phone

Post by mwortham »

I have a number of email alerts enabled in the Eyez-On portal, including arm / disarm notifications, etc. However I would like to set up an audible alarm for a specific alert email on my phone - notification of an actual alarm. It's very easy to overlook a standard email notification on my phone, and I would like an alarm to get my attention.

The basic notification options on my LG G2 (android) and my email app (Yahoo) don't seem to offer a way to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could pull this off? I'm curious what others have done to address this problem. This is one area where a native mobile app would be helpful, since this type of feature could be baked in.

Thanks,

Mark
diesel45mpg

Re: Audible Alarm on Mobile Phone

Post by diesel45mpg »

Configure a sms notification instead of email. Then use a sms pager alarm app for your phone. Ive tried several apps, sms alarm and now im using firealert2.

Here are my firealert2 filter setting, working great so far:

Word Settings: alarm
Exclude List: Opening; Restor ('OR' search option)
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

Thanks for the app pointer, diesel45mpg!
CeeGeeky

Post by CeeGeeky »

This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for! It goes off, even if I have the "Do not Disturb" feature turned on on my phone. Thanks.
mwortham

Post by mwortham »

Thanks for the tips diesel45mpg! I'll give it a shot.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

(This is an update to an older thread)

The new EyezOn iphone app, for the reasons adeptly explained below by tech support, apparently cannot "sound the alarm" during an alarm condition. So, using a 3rd-party SMS-triggered app like the ones described above appear to be still the only route(?) Otherwise I might not notice an email or SMS coming in telling me my alarm has gone off.

Regarding an "alarm" sound for iphone:
"This is available to Android users with the Android version of the app, but not with iPhones. The problem lies with Apple's APNS service in that it isn't as sophisticated as Google's FCM notification service. APNS does not allow developers to change notifications tones nor the volume."

There is an above reference to "FireAlert2" app -- which doesn't appear on my current app list on iphone. There IS a "Fire Alert" app -- but that appears to be driven by a proprietary system.

Am I the only one that wants my smartphone to "freak out" if my home alarm is triggered? Any tips on a current sms alarm app that works? -Doug
cigumo

Post by cigumo »

Hi!
I'm pretty sure this is possible now.

This is from the developer portal:
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... jc#2943362
Listing 2 shows a notification payload that badges the app’s icon and plays a sound. The specified sound file must be on the user’s device already, either in the app’s bundle or in the Library/Sounds folder of the app’s container.
I know it's possible because TotalConnect is doing it. They have a very annoying sound for alarms.

I hope this gets fixed! It's the only complaint I have about this service. Thanks!
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Any updates on this issue -- or workarounds -- for iphone? This subject seems quite stale.
Suckerpunchnz

Post by Suckerpunchnz »

Yes, since iOS 12, Critical Alerts in Apps are supported, allowing the ability to break through DnD mode.

I've put a request in the Feature Requests post for this.
I'd recommend everyone who wants this feature does too.

Thanks.
Phil.
robin.ellins

Audible Alarm on iPhone

Post by robin.ellins »

I too was looking for an easy way to receive an "Alarm" sound on my iPhone at all times - even if the ring switch is set to silent or Do Not Disturb is active. In the end it was quite a simple solution using the built-in features of iOS 15.

This solution requires the use of an SMS message being delivered from the Eyez-on site to your iPhone.

As the messages always arrive from the same phone number (999)999-9999 simply create a contact from the text message in your contacts.

Then edit the alarm contact and change the sound for text messages to your alarm sound (I am using the Classic->Alarm which sounds like a nuclear reactor meltdown warning - highly effective).

In the Text Tone settings, turn ON the Emergency Bypass feature - so the alerts will still sound even if the phone is set to silent or Do Not Disturb is active.

That's it. Simple. :D

Now incoming text messages will alert you to an alarm night or day.

The Eyez-on app is good but is not allowed to have custom sounds for the app due to limitations imposed by apple. If you wish to receive regular notifications of other alarm statuses a they happen without triggering an alarm sound, use the push notifications in the Eyez-on app. In your web account at Eyez-on create two contacts, one for the app and one for sms. Set the sms to Alarms only. Set the app notifications for all other alerts.

Hope this helps someone else - took me awhile to figure this out - searching for apps, ios shortcuts etc. Then I suddenly realized the simplest solution was already available and built into iOS. :idea: