ANNOUNCE: EVL4EZ Syslog Client

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Ltek

Re: ANNOUNCE: EVL4EZ Syslog Client

Post by Ltek »

GrandWizard wrote:No, the EVL3 is retired. While it is will always be supported, only critical updates are being issued for the EVl3 firmware.
Are the devices differ so much it can would be difficult to add to the EVL3?
It's unfortunate if it would be easy to add while still choosing not to. Adding to EVL3 shows loyalty to the customer, even though it's not critical it is a nice feature for home automation integration.
rct

Post by rct »

A helpful enhancement would be to syslog loss of connectivity to the envisalerts service and restoral.

(Last night I had an internet outage which was logged by the envisalerts service as you would expect. However nothing was syslogged with firmware 01.01.114. I'd also love to see TPI codes for loss of envisalerts/internet connectivity that my app can use.)
Ltek

Post by Ltek »

Does Syslog report all zone activity (motion, door/window/etc) both when armed and disarmed?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Yes for DSC users. Honeywell panels don't report zone activity while armed so no for those users.
joyn

Post by joyn »

Regarding "Honeywell Vista 20P does not report zone activities when armed", this does not seem to be true to me. I just recently switched to Eyezon (EnvisAlert, and EnvisAlarm CS monitoring). I was with Rogers SHM before the switch. It is the same Vista 20P control panel. It was able to report entry door open when armed (either stay or away) - when you open the door, then close the door, then disarm (or you disarm then close door. it was reporting three entries (either you call the first an activity and the second an event - different names by different company). But now with Eyezon, it only reports as one event (opening by user xxx). It appears to me this is not a control panel reporting issue but rather how Eyezon envisAlert is programed/configured (at the server side) to send alerts to the client - maybe by purpose of reducing bandwidth? As in such scenario, the panel would send the contactID message for the zone/door open, then a second message for disarming to the server (and monitoring station if signed up with CS monitoring). Combined the two into one alert is omitting the information about from which zone/door is opened and then closed.

If it's bandwidth issue, then I suggest maybe to reduce or eliminate the reporting of zone activities for those interior Motions zones when the system is disarmed. You don't care (actually I don't want) zone activities of motion sensors when the system is disarmed. It will save bandwidth so more events of interest can be sent to client more frequently (the 5 minute gap is too long to follow a zone or between events alerts).
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

The syslog client configuration appears to be broken by design. It's limiting the Server IP Address I can use to the /24 network within which the EVL4 is assigned, yet my network is a /16 and the syslog server lies outside that /24. I cannot use it this way.

It ought to obey the netmask or allow the full dotted-quad be specified. Please fix.
ridgerunner81

Post by ridgerunner81 »

For a Syslog Server running under Windows, I suggest Syslog Watcher.
This is a full feature Syslog server which can create email alerts, export data to .CSV.
See https://syslogwatcher.com
I have been using it to monitor the Eyez-On Envisalink version 4 module as well as network switch, firewall etc.
Highly recommended. Able to use this product at home for free by getting a home use license.
nickzampieri

Post by nickzampieri »

For a Syslog Server running under Windows, I too suggest Syslog Watcher.
Full featured Syslog server that can create email alerts, export data to .CSV, etc.
See https://syslogwatcher.com
I will be using it to monitor the Eyez-On Envisalink version 4 module and any other device that uses syslog facilities in my home network.
Definitely highly recommended and free for use at home with a Home Use license!!! Check them out!
dave4444

Post by dave4444 »

Why does this only support sending to a syslog server within the same /24? Pretty much unusable for anyone with proper speration of devices or a server seperated by a router or firewall from other devices.
anderep

Post by anderep »

toddaustin wrote:Cool feature! But can I make a request to please allow more customization of the server IP address. My server is sitting on 192.168.2.xxx, but your config screen assumes it must be on 192.168.1.xxx
I really wish they would fix this as well.