Yards Signs - Security Problem?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

jjurgensmeyer

Yards Signs - Security Problem?

Post by jjurgensmeyer »

I have a question I would like to throw out to the forum. Isn't the entire Eyez-On monitoring station based on the Envisalink 2DS module? Therefore, if I put the Eyez-On yard signs in my yard that say eyez-on.com, couldn't a burglar go to that site and find out that a cellular/GSM option is not a part of the eyez-on monitoring solution? From there, they would know to cut your internet provider line to your residence and go from there? They could even read your yard sign and do this research on their own time to figure out that cutting your ISP line would disable monitoring station communication.
I would like to hear thoughts from others.
Thank you
RyanR

Re: Yards Signs - Security Problem?

Post by RyanR »

If you are concerned about this, the solution is simple - do not use Eyez-On security signs. There are plenty of security signs that you can purchase and put in your yard...generic or company specific. I personally have ADT signs stuck in my yard even though I don't use them or any central monitoring station. I just use 2DS going to my phone.

Having said that, any intelligent criminal is going to cut your phone and cable lines regardless of whether or not they see a sign in your yard. It's so easy, there's no excuse not to do it. If you run into this criminal, any signs or window stickers don't mean a whole lot.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

Get cellular monitoring..Period..

1) Works even if the lines are cut.. In fact, it can transmit a trouble for that before any of your zones are violated giving you the first warning something may be about to occur..

2) Works even during a power outage using your panels backup battery.. Yes, you could have a backup battery to your cable modem, but I have switched and routers that are not on any backup batteries..

3) Difficult to circumvent..
jjurgensmeyer

Post by jjurgensmeyer »

does Eyez-On offer cellular monitoring?
RyanR

Post by RyanR »

Eyez-On does not offer cellular monitoring. It's strictly TCP/IP.

My basic opinion is that monitoring is not really that important, hence why I don't pay for it, and I don't have cellular monitoring. I have my security system set up to protect me and my family. I only need it for this when I'm home. When I'm home, monitoring does not matter. The only thing that matters is sensors and the bell. Both work when lines are cut and during power outages. Any monitoring is only needed when I'm away from home, in which case it's not protecting me or my family...it's just peace of mind knowing that my home is still in one piece.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

RyanR wrote: I have my security system set up to protect me and my family.
I have firearms in my house to keep me and my family safe when we are home.. I need the monitoring to keep my firearms and other personal stuff safe when we are not home..
jjurgensmeyer

Post by jjurgensmeyer »

Thank you everyone for your input. This helps a lot.
RyanR

Post by RyanR »

hypnosis4u2nv wrote:I need the monitoring to keep my firearms and other personal stuff safe when we are not home..
That's what insurance is for ;)

There are also a lot of reasons that monitoring alone is not going to keep your stuff safe. I'd be curious to see statistics on how long, on average, a criminal stays in a house with a siren going off...and what percentage of 'breaking and entering' criminals are actually caught, on premises, by police. Bet it doesn't happen very often. I'm sure most are in and out in minutes, long before the cops show up.
RyanR

Post by RyanR »

Found a little bit on it:

http://homesecurity.net/home-burglary-statistic/

That image says that they spend 8-12 minutes on average in your home. That average is going to include houses without security systems too. I bet they spend no more than a few minutes in a house with a siren going off, if that. Most are probably in and out in less than a minute. Monitoring just isn't going to do a thing in that case.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

RyanR wrote:
hypnosis4u2nv wrote:I need the monitoring to keep my firearms and other personal stuff safe when we are not home..
That's what insurance is for ;)

That image says that they spend 8-12 minutes on average in your home. That average is going to include houses without security systems too. I bet they spend no more than a few minutes in a house with a siren going off, if that. Most are probably in and out in less than a minute. Monitoring just isn't going to do a thing in that case.
It's not replacing them that is has me concerned, it's getting them into the wrong hands.. I also have a direct number to the local Sheriff's office that covers my area and I call them also informing them that I have received a report of a possible break-in to my home and that I have numerous firearms inside.. Needless to say the response was very quick the one time my system did go off, thankfully is was a false alarm.. The most important possessions and firearms are secured in a safe and it's going to take a thief much longer than 15 minutes to move them out my home when they do find them..

More power to you if you feel it is unnecessary, but it would drive me crazy getting a notification that a zone was tripped and not knowing what's going on until I got home..