Check 108 Wire Expansion

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Sandwedg

Check 108 Wire Expansion

Post by Sandwedg »

Hi All,
I installed a Envisalink4 in a Honeywell 21Ip and I disabled the onboard IP with the jumper and entered the installer codes and changed set *195 for Partion1 keypad address to 22 but while I can see my house fine from the Eyezon website, unfortunately I am getting a bunch of error messages on my keypads:

Check 108 Wire Expansion
Check 17 XXXXX
Check 18 XXXXX
thru to 23...

I figured that I missed a wire on that extension board or that there is some conflict but I need help
JohnM

Re: Check 108 Wire Expansion

Post by JohnM »

CAVEAT....I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER...JUST A HOMEOWNER WHO PROGRAMMED HIS OWN VISTA 20P CONTROL PANEL...SO USE THE ADVICE BELOW AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT MAY NOT APPLY TO A HONEYWELL 21ip CONTROL PANEL ... THANKS

Note that his happened to me when I disconnected a 4229 Zone Expander Module and didn't delete the Zones which were programmed on that module.

Your first error "Check 108 Wire Expansion" would suggest to me that there may have been a Zone Expander module (4219/4229) programmed as Address 08. If this module is not connected or having a problem, it would report as 108. On the 4219/4229 module you would set Address 08 with the DIP Switches on the card itself.

The fact that you are also seeing Check 17...to Check 23 (24?) would also seem to tie to this a zone expander card. If the zone expander was installed and active on Address 08, it would allow you to program Zones 17-24 as an Aux Wired Zones. You may also want to check in the Zone Programming Field (*56 on the Vista 20P panel), that Zones 17 to 24 have a Zone Type (ZT) of "00"... which would indicate they are "Not Used".

That's all that I can offer from my layman's perspective. Good luck and I'd be interested in hearing if this fixed your issue.
jlhills

Post by jlhills »

Was there a resolve to this issue?
I have a V15 and Envisalink4 with the same issue with my zone expander...
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

In almost all cases the expander wiring becomes dislodged during the installation of the new ECP module (Envisalink in this case). The only other option would be a programming error that accidentaly occured during installation.

If the expansion module has power then the issue is with either the YELLOW or GREEN wires, or both.

I would go with option #1 before looking for #2.
jlhills

Post by jlhills »

Is there any specific programming errors that you can think of that would lead to zone expander error? As I have exhausted the wiring checks at either end. I had gone from still seeing everything on my V15P after envisalink installation, but having an error with the envisalink that programming wasn't complete. I redid the programming to the 'updated' honeywell directions and not what was listed on the web site. Then all was well for a moment until i started getting the missing expander and each zone on the expander. I even went as far as to remove the envisalink 4 and change all programming back to previous state and still....missing expander. reinstalled the envisalink 4 and programmed and troubles keep coming in for the missing stuff.
I thought maybe there was an addressing issue, but everything is keypad related addressing and shouldn't effect the expander!? in theory that is. I'm hesitant to buy and install new expander and find the same result if it's a software/programming issue and not hardware. I seeked out this forum thinking i can't have been the only one this has happened too. Just to cleaify, I have an expander and devices wired to it that were working before hand and now they are not responding and giving troubles on the system continuously forcing me to power down to keep things quiet til i figure this out. I did consult with envisalink tech support over email and didn't get anywhere, but i must say they were probably the quickest and most helpful support I have dealt with in probably 15-20 years! Shoutout to them.
Thanks for any help in advance, appreciated.

GrandWizard wrote:In almost all cases the expander wiring becomes dislodged during the installation of the new ECP module (Envisalink in this case). The only other option would be a programming error that accidentaly occured during installation.

If the expansion module has power then the issue is with either the YELLOW or GREEN wires, or both.

I would go with option #1 before looking for #2.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Do you have an auxillary power supplied installed on your panel?
Measuring at the terminals of the expander, what is the DC voltage between BLACK and YELLOW?
Measuring at the terminals of the expander, what is the DC voltage between BLACK and GREEN?
jlhills

Post by jlhills »

No auxiliary power supply installed.

I metered BLK-RED: 13.4VDC
I metered BLK-YELLOW: 11-12.9VDC
I metered BLK-GRN: 0.200VDC(fluctuating a bit)
GrandWizard wrote:Do you have an auxiliary power supplied installed on your panel?
Measuring at the terminals of the expander, what is the DC voltage between BLACK and YELLOW?
Measuring at the terminals of the expander, what is the DC voltage between BLACK and GREEN?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Its your green wire. that should be around 10Vdc, slight fluctuations.

It could also be the terminal. It could be shot too. Look for solder breaks on the underside of the board.
jlhills

Post by jlhills »

I will totally check that when I can.
Not sure where, but i found this tech sheet online. It mentions checking *25 = 1 if using a 4219 zone expander, but i cant check *25!?
It shows voltage readings closer to what i metered as well...
I'll try to attach it.
Attachments
snippet.JPG
snippet.JPG (114.01 KiB) Viewed 11136 times
jlhills

Post by jlhills »

So after installing the envisalink4 and making the programming changes to suit, it started working and my zone expander stopped working = 107.
Didn't find anything after checking everything... I bought a new 4219 and same thing 107!!!
Its killing me!