New Feature Requests

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

britben

Re: New Feature Requests

Post by britben »

Perhaps I'm asking something that nobody else asked, or perhaps this already works (I'm still trying to get my 2DS connected...)

Why can't the 2DS pick up zone labels from a DSC Keypad "label broadcast" ? That way, it will have the same zone labels as all my keypads.

Cheers !
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

britben wrote:Perhaps I'm asking something that nobody else asked, or perhaps this already works (I'm still trying to get my 2DS connected...)

Why can't the 2DS pick up zone labels from a DSC Keypad "label broadcast" ? That way, it will have the same zone labels as all my keypads.

Cheers !
I've been told it is a memory limitation in the '2DS. It will be addressed in an upcoming new model.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

GrandWizard wrote: It will be addressed in an upcoming new model.
Ohhhh man.. And I just upgraded..lol
britben

Post by britben »

hypnosis4u2nv wrote:
Ohhhh man.. And I just upgraded..lol
Aaaarrrgggh. I just bought the 2DS :-/

There's always something new around the corner.
strangely

Post by strangely »

3DS?

I'd dump my 2DS now on eBay if I hadn't already gone the monitoring route! I'd really like zone labels for Home Automation purposes!
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Adding the ability to run DLS2002 over the LAN through the 2DS would be a really great new feature for Eyez-On. Seems like it's possible because I believe this can be done with the DSC TL-150, which, I believe has essentially the same hardware as the 2DS.

I'm now looking at DSC's PC-Link kit and various USB-to-Serial adapters, some of which may or may not work with PC-link according to folklore.

Also, my PC is at the other side of the house from my alarm panel, so routing Serial between the PC and panel is a big pain. Installing an Ethernet-to-serial solution would be an even bigger pain.

It sure seems like the elegant solution would be a firmware rev in the 2DS.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

I use my notebook to use DLS2002 next to the panel.. The Serial to USB adapters are a pain in the ass but stick with a FTDI USB - Serial adapter and you should be good..
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

hypnosis4u2nv wrote:I use my notebook to use DLS2002 next to the panel.. The Serial to USB adapters are a pain in the ass but stick with a FTDI USB - Serial adapter and you should be good..
Thanks for the guidance - I just ordered an FTDI-based USB adapter. I may take shot at pushing the serial RS-232 over spare pairs across my house.

I'm curious what OS you use because I've also seen various posts about DLS2002 compatibility problems beyond Win XP and I'm running Win 7 and Vista.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

I used Windows 7 but it's been close to a year since I last used the DLS program so I don't remember if it gave me an issue or if I set the compatibility mode to XP..
stevew

Post by stevew »

Guys, FWIW, I run a T-Link 250 on my (home system) Power 1864 and program it using the DLS IV, as well as a Maxsys /T-link 250 (office system) using DLS2002 to program across my LAN's and VPN's. My Power 1864 also has a 2DS in it. No issue whatsoever, except that the DLS2002 on Maxsys with T-Link has some small, stupid issues, but I ONLY program my panels with the DLS over Ethernet. Forget USB >>Serial; it's worth spending the extra cash to go with the T-Link 250 and go Ethernet direct. DLS has enough issues on its own with going USB>>Serial. DSC could use a few lessons in coding with the DLS...
www.autoland.ca
"Never argue with ignorance; they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..."