Cellular monitoring of EVL for $6 per month

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

hokie21

Cellular monitoring of EVL for $6 per month

Post by hokie21 »

I've been using my EVL3 for many years now. It's worked great, but I've always wanted cellular backup in addition to my cable Internet connection. I've got that working now for only $6 per month.

It was actually fairly simple to set up. I added an old router to the LAN port of my existing router. That old router I loaded with "Fresh Tomato" firmware. I plugged in an old Sprint LTE dongle into the USB port of the router and configured the router for dual-wan with failover to the LTE modem. I plugged the WAN of the new modem into my existing LAN which is served by the cable modem. I plugged the EVL connection into the LAN of the new "Fresh Tomato" router. I tested fail-over both directions. It seems to work fine. I'll let it bake during the Covid period when I"m not leaving the house anyway. You can get 1GB per month of LTE data for $6 on with Tello.com. Actually with Covid-19, it's actually 2GB of data for $6 for the next couple of months.
hokie21

Re: Cellular monitoring of EVL for $6 per month

Post by hokie21 »

As an alternative to the old Sprint USB modem dongle, an old phone with USB tethering turned on can be used as an LTE USB modem.