Connecting the EnvisaLink 4 to my network

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

macmac

Connecting the EnvisaLink 4 to my network

Post by macmac »

Hi,
Does the EnvisaLink 4 have to be connected to an ethernet cable that runs to my router (internet router) Or could a portable router we used at the alarm panel housing the EnvisaLink 4 to send communication to the main router? (the EnvisaLink 4 connected to the portable router with short ethernet cable)

Thanks,
Joe
tmack-1

Re: Connecting the EnvisaLink 4 to my network

Post by tmack-1 »

The proper networking term would be a "Wireless Bridge".

In the old days, you would take a network cable out of your desktop computer's Ethernet card into the wireless bridge. It would then connect wirelessly to a WIFI router or " wireless access point" that would go to a router. It was so that you would not have to run wires thru your facility ( house). In today's world, you can buy WIFI networking cards, so the need for "Bridges" has faded. But, in this case, it would be a good idea.

Some routers can be configured as a Bridge but most can only be setup as a access point (basically DCHP turned off).

I have a Bridge that was originally made to turn game consoles wireless, but it's only a 11B protocol (Linksys WGA11B ). I was debating using it, but my alarm panel is in the basement, about 25 feet from my network 16 port switch (hub) that goes to the router. Hardwired means no dropped WIFI connections to worry about. NOTE: My house was setup as Hardwired networking in the early 2000's.

ADMIN's: Idea..... gather a list of Wireless Bridges, and maybe have the marketing team sell them on-line....
Engineers Design Things, Technicians Make Them Work.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

macmac wrote:Hi,
Does the EnvisaLink 4 have to be connected to an ethernet cable that runs to my router (internet router) Or could a portable router we used at the alarm panel housing the EnvisaLink 4 to send communication to the main router? (the EnvisaLink 4 connected to the portable router with short ethernet cable)

Thanks,
Joe
You can use a wireles bridge or what you might see them called is a "wireless gaming adapter". There are lots of them on Amazon. Search for Ethernet to Wifi adapter. I've used IOgear in the past for temporary installations where I didn't want to run a cable.

You can also use a power-line carrier bridge instead. The advantage of these are they won't fail if you change your WiFi password.

In the end a hard-wired connection is always preferrable to a wired one for security applications
grabo

Post by grabo »

I did exactly this back when I had an EVL3. I'd still have it if I hadn't ended up running cabling to where my panel is located for other things.

I posted about it, too.

http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=2022
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

grabo wrote:I did exactly this back when I had an EVL3. I'd still have it if I hadn't ended up running cabling to where my panel is located for other things.

I posted about it, too.

http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=2022
The EVL3 never worked with any of the WiFi bridges. Only the EVL4