New user, observations and questions

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

1bird2

New user, observations and questions

Post by 1bird2 »

Hello All!!

Pulled the trigger and purchased, installed and configured a Envisalink 4 for a Vista 20p panel. Fairly straight forward, had to reset the installer code -- no problem. Renamed all of the zones to friendly names -- but was suprised that the alpha char defined names in the Vista 20p could not be reused with the Envisalink 4 product. I will assume that is a limitation to the Vista 20p panel and methods to retrieve this information (i.e. could not be done).

So, I have the web UI up, mobile app installed on Android 11 (Samsung note 20). BTW, recommend to the developer -- there are some "app refresh" needed to behave more "modern", e.g. refresh with swipes, or add biometric login. All simple API calls into the #1 android device on the market. Same for iOS...

Anyway, I notice I still do not have one touch arm/disarm (varying flavors), but rather still need to enter my user code + command. Does this functionality come with the upgraded $60 plan - EnvisAlertsPlus?
GrandWizard

Re: New user, observations and questions

Post by GrandWizard »

Hello, welcome aboard.

Honeywell panels require a code for all actions on the panel. This is why you are prompted for a code to ARM/DISARM/BYPASS etc.

While it is techincally possible to cache your user code for one-touch arm/disarm, we will not store your users codes for privacy and security reasons.

The app is in the process of a makeover so your observations are noted.

Enjoy your Envisalink!
1bird2

Post by 1bird2 »

Thanks for the welcome....

Some constructive feedback.

The comment "While it is technically possible to cache your user code for one-touch arm/disarm, we will not store your users codes for privacy and security reasons."

Is SO OLD SCHOOL in the world of security, speaking from someone who has worked in Enterprise and government security. While I respect your statement, think about the the concept of 2 factor authentication. The first factor is a password to unlock the mobile device, be it a PIN, a password or biometrics. Then, your app (to your point about refreshing the application) could implement biometrics password to use your app as password or other measures to revalidate your identity FOR THE convenience of usability in life. Lastly, get your legal team to bless the terms and conditions of allowing a user to proceed. Again, let the user/customer decide if they want this feature or not. Me, I would like this. Plus, I would love the ability to use proximity arming/disarming via a 3rd party service or even a Bluetooth, NFC, or WiFi approach.

Are there risks, yes. But are these manageable risks with the right information for the consumer/user to make informed decisions -- with the proper legal protections for your company. I say yes.

Other points. Competition....

alarm.com does it
alarmnet does it

How and why!!

1. Legal protections to the contract between service and client. I have used alarm.com and have read the agreements.
2. World is changing, towards convenience to user, while the mobile device has added multiple layers of protection with device passcodes and biometrics for access to that device.
3. I trust your service and servers/workflows are protected (big assumption) as the information, as per your documentation, is encrypted.
4. Link your app to an Authenticator app to periodically ensure user opts in to a 2nd factor, and/or add biometric options to use your application (with cached user codes for arm/disarm).

I respectively would ask you take the above comments into consideration for your product/services.

Thanks
1bird2

Post by 1bird2 »

** UPDATE **

I have researched multiple Home Automations, e.g. Smart Things, Versa, Home Assistant and OpenHab.

I see Home Assistant has a python library built into their "integrations". I was able to achieve what I need via this approach. This will also allow me to extend the capabilities of the vista20p to tie other "events" to manage the alarm panel, e.g. when I come home, confirm I am home by confirming my personal device is on my WiFi network + proximity + (as needed) to send a disarm series to the alarm, via home assistant to the EnvisaLink 4 card (to the Vista20p). As of now, I have basically replicated the Envisilink app functionality into the Home Assistant framework/application to allow for arm/disarm the Vista20p without having to enter the arm/disarm code -- all done encrypted and on my local home network.

I was able to get the Home Assistant mobile app to work, as Home Assistant is a local compute device natively, i.e. not in cloud. Had to tinker with port forwarding and certificates.

Home Assistant is not for everyone. I set it up today as a Debian 10 (Linux) vitual machine within Parallels running on a macOS, running Home Assistant application within a Docker container on Debian 10 linux. Not your everyday set of tasks for many folks -- but it cost me $0 (already have the mac and parallels) and ~4 hours of my time (I am an ex sw developer). Really more of a proof of concept for now.

Mind you, a Home Automation platform is really an apples to oranges comparison, but it shows the power of the Envisalink 4 platform and the extensibility it provides to fit into the Home Automation realm of possibilities.
jimnypolo

Post by jimnypolo »

If the MFG will not cache on the server what exactly is happening with the alexa integration when it arms without a password?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

You have to enable the "Arm without Code" option in your security panel. This is available on both DSC and Honeywell panels, sometimes known as "Quick Arm".
jimnypolo

Post by jimnypolo »

GrandWizard wrote:You have to enable the "Arm without Code" option in your security panel. This is available on both DSC and Honeywell panels, sometimes known as "Quick Arm".
I did enable on my vista 20p but no corresponding option becomes live in the eyezon app