UNO IP Panel - Keypad options

Support and Discussions relating to the Envisalink SOLO Wireless, and UNO Hybrid, Security Systems

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

michae1a1ee

UNO IP Panel - Keypad options

Post by michae1a1ee »

Wondering about using Keypads with the UNO IP security panel.
First of all, are they actually needed?
I believe the UNO can be controlled via smart phone app, web interface and other software integrations, so is the point of having a keyboard only for situations where none of those other options are working?
Programming for this panel is not needed to be done from a keypad, correct?

Having said that, to answer my own question, I do see the value of having a dedicated keypad attached to the system, even if only for troubleshooting.
Are *all* DSC keypads compatible with the UNO?
Are any models more recommended over others and for what reasons?

Honestly, I haven't seen a DSC keypad that I'm overly thrilled about, aesthetics wise. My current non-DSC alarm panel that I'll be replacing has two flush mount keypads at my two main house entry points (front door and garage entry point). So ideally I'll be looking to put something in those spots which already have wiring run to them. Is there a DSC flush-mount keypad?

Should I just abandon using a keypad at the entry doors and replace them with Android tablets perhaps? In this case, should I consider putting a DSC keypad at the UNO panel location instead, if that's needed?

I would like some feedback from EyezOn and UNO users on their experience with these things. Thanks!
waderatke

Re: UNO IP Panel - Keypad options

Post by waderatke »

Programming and keypads:

You are accurate; no keyboard is required to program the UNO. You can do this through the app or the web interface.

DSC Keypad Compatibility:

No, not all DSC keypads work with the UNO. The UNO supports particular models from the PK and RFK series, including the PK5501, PK5500, RFK5501, RFK5500, LCD5511, and PK5508.

Recommended keypads:

There is no commonly accepted "best" model. Here's an overview of several options:

PK5501: A basic keypad with arm/disarm and status features.
RFK5501: Wireless keypad, ideal for avoiding unnecessary wire.
LCD5511: Features a backlit LCD screen for easy navigation.

Here's some suggestions:

Keep Existing Keypads: If you currently have wired keypads, consider using compatible DSC models (PK series) to use the existing wiring.
UNO Panel Keypad: For troubleshooting or backup control, place a basic keypad (PK5501) near the UNO panel.
Tablets as Supplements: Tablets can be useful secondary control alternatives, but they are not a substitute for keypads at entry points.
GrandWizard

Re: UNO IP Panel - Keypad options

Post by GrandWizard »

Just a heads up. We will begin internal testing of a new Android tablet app for UNO and SOLO in the next couple of months. Once we get our hands on it and work out the "alpha" bugs we'll being have a beta test.

Also, the UNO keypad will be going into production in August so they should be available in September.