Ability to monitor raw wireless sensor data from 5881

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

tkreyche

Ability to monitor raw wireless sensor data from 5881

Post by tkreyche »

I realize this is a bit outside the scope of the EnvisaLink 3 - but it should be relatively easy since 90% of the capability is already there. I don't see this is possible in the TPI doc but maybe I missed it.

What I would like to do is simply hook up the 3 to the output of a Honeywell 5881 wireless receiver module and be able to view the raw output messages from wireless sensors, namely the wireless device ID and the device state. This should be possible since the EnvisaLink 3 is on the same same bus (the Ademco ECP bus) as the 5881, keypads, Vista 20P panel etc.

I want a receive only connection from the wireless receiver that I can use for monitoring. I don't care about sending data, or viewing data from keypads, wired devices or the main panel. There are none of those.

Why? I hate all the alarm companies proprietary hardware, arcane programming, lack of expandability, lack of modern functionality etc. But their sensors work fine and are reliable and relatively inexpensive. I see other people are writing interface code for a server to access the 3, and that's fine but it adds another layer. I want to subtract layers.

Thanks, Tom
pounder

Re: Ability to monitor raw wireless sensor data from 5881

Post by pounder »

The things on the bus don't talk to each other they only talk to the panel, really they are not even directly aware of each other except as they fight bus contention.

So you still need the panel to talk to all the slave devices and keep the system state.
Jon Pounder
tkreyche

Post by tkreyche »

Pounder -

That's a pretty vague answer. Unless the panel acts as a bus master and controls all communications with other devices (keypads, receivers, etc), then just monitoring the bus without the panel should work fine.

...Tom
pounder

Post by pounder »

The guys from envisacor can probably shed more light on this but AFAIK its a master slave bus, yes all the various device data could be sniffed at any point on the bus, but my guess is since the module impersonates a keypad its not going to just sniff all that other info out there when the panel polls the other modules, depending if the bus interface is hard or soft, it might not even be possible.

Based on feature request feedback I have seen there is not a lot of memory left in the module to add features so I doubt the software would be possible practically even if it is theoretically possible just due to lack of flash/ram available.
Jon Pounder
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

tkreyche wrote:I realize this is a bit outside the scope of the EnvisaLink 3 - but it should be relatively easy since 90% of the capability is already there. I don't see this is possible in the TPI doc but maybe I missed it.

[snip]

Thanks, Tom
Hi, the TPI only works on DSC panels right now. There is an Ademco version coming but it is not yet in beta. Real Time zone changes will be part of the Ademco TPI.