Help me test an instant notification system

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

nicolasg

Help me test an instant notification system

Post by nicolasg »

Im working on a side project, a notification system that uses iOS push notifications and/or sms to notify you of security events. (Tropo + Twilio)

This came about because notification events via email are very quick, but I found my phone sometimes doesnt check email quickly enough (or even for a good hour some times) and thus notifications were very delayed - yet the great Eyez-on system was sending out the email almost instantly. The email-to-sms gateways also dont help me because they are not low-cost and I wanted more control over what messages I got on my devices.

At the moment I only have a proof of concept going and would like to test it with some users and get some feedback on improvements. It works great, from event to my phone on average 5-10 seconds. Using iOS notifications also means its essentially free (sms costs money).

Intended goals/features
- SMS, iOS push notifications, post back to 3rd party url, voice call
- Filter of security event types (down to the specific event type)
- Filter of partitions
- Multiple devices (each device can have its own filter/partition)
- Free/Low cost
- Deployable code by end-users if they so choose (privacy, security, extendability)

Send me a PM to get setup on my project.
Ill post more information as I get further along.

Eyez-on I hope this is alright with you guys, Im not trying to take business away from your service. I want to augment it and provide users with more options.
GrandWizard

Re: Help me test an instant notification system

Post by GrandWizard »

Knock yourself out. The reason we use the email-to-sms method of SMS is because it is free for most people (I thought it was free for everybody actually). Keep the group posted on your efforts.

Are you using he TPI?
nicolasg

Post by nicolasg »

GrandWizard wrote:Knock yourself out. The reason we use the email-to-sms method of SMS is because it is free for most people (I thought it was free for everybody actually). Keep the group posted on your efforts.

Are you using he TPI?
Yup I understand the email-to-sms reasons. But as your own experience has shown, the major carriers sometimes block/drop the emails and for some its not free (like me); however since Eyez-on does not get any monthly money for the service I can totally understand the reasons to use free avenues.
One of the "ideas" for offering the service without extra burden is to make use of Twilio and their way of letting people have their own account with credits, and they can then link it to my system - this way they can choose to pay (or not pay) for the sms as they wish while I dont have to deal with receiving money or charging.

Ive done several other projects with all these technologies so bringing them together for this side project is hopefully fun for once.

Im not using the TPI, so far only email. Same as the email-to-sms, except its my own gateway, if you will. This way I can make sure emails dont get dropped and also prioritize them; as Ive found the eyez-on servers are extremely reliable in sending the notification emails - its the isp's that arent so reliable in receiving them.

At the moment its a proof of concept (very hard coded).
I have it doing email-> iOS push, url POST/GET, SMS (via Tropo), and Voice (via Twilio).

You should see it every time I leave the house, my phone beeps like crazy (from all the notices and calls I get) lol.
pounder

Post by pounder »

I agree with gw on this one - I use for various carriers through eyezon and with my own monitoring and I have sent thousands of them and I get them instantly. In Canada the only issues I found were the lower end rogers resellers (fido etc) just completely suck at this and it costs money, bell and telus are completely fine.
Jon Pounder
nicolasg

Post by nicolasg »

I also wanted to be able to send partition messages to the right devices (not all messages to all devices) and also filtering of messages by time. The final one was to be able to trigger actions at home (turn on motion detection on a foscam), without having to have a TPI daemon running to perform those actions. By having it POST/GET to a url, the possibilities are endless in terms of extendability.
So essentially more control over what messages, what devices, what format, what method, what action.

I just really didnt want to write another TPI daemon, and use the existing infrastructure/method (email) provided by EyezOn.

I now have it turning off any lights that I forgot when the system is away armed. (X10)
calvin_baank

Post by calvin_baank »

Still working on this?
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Pls let me know if you got this working, will pay for a Push notification app on IOS linked to Envisalink