Envisalink 3 Web Server Settings

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

eagle

Envisalink 3 Web Server Settings

Post by eagle »

Is there a way to change the settings on the Envisalink 3 built-in web server? I would like to change the TCP port settings. Likewise, the default webpage could be altered or additional code could be run locally to provide a more useful web interface.
rustyk

Re: Envisalink 3 Web Server Settings

Post by rustyk »

The way I do this is I have my home router set up to port-forward any incoming connections on port 8080 to the envisalink on port 80. (8080 being an example of the port I want to serve the web pages on). So I've effectively changed the port that the web service is set up on, as long as I access the envisalink through my router http://myrouterip:8080, which I can do outside or inside my home network.

As for the web pages, the way I do that is probably to build your own version of the website on your own computer, and on the backend you use the Envisalink TPI to makes calls to your Envisalink to do things like arm it, disarm it, check the status, and so on.

Beyond that, I'll let the experts check in too, but I imagine the web pages and port number are built into the firmware and can't be changed.
eagle

Post by eagle »

Thanks for your prompt reply. I agree that port forwarding will get the job done. I really wanted to get into the web server setup to possibly implement SSL and to make changes to the default web page. I'd rather have at least the web interface self-contained on the EVL3. Do you know if I can do that?

I keep reading about "the Envisalink TPI" but I don't find any downloads for it. I don't want to sign my system into the Eyez-On website for security reasons. I've been looking at OpenRemote, but I find there are plenty of paid softwares. Any suggestions?
rustyk

Post by rustyk »

Envisalink TPI is the "Third Party Interface". It's just another way to control your envisalink in addition to the web interface. You could for example telnet to it and pass commands to get status information or arm or disarm the system. Here's a forum topic with a link to the manual about it: http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=301

With SSL, I don't think you could do anything to change that to make it serve via SSL, because it's probably built into the firmware from what I can see (I'm just a developer though who's spent some time working with the Envisalink, I'm not a Envisalink developer so maybe there's something else I don't know). However, maybe you could use some load balancing software on your own PC that offloads the SSL, and have your router port forward to that software? That's getting pretty advanced though, I don't think I'd want to try that.

But I agree the lack of any secure channel to communicate with the Envisalink is a drawback, especially if you want to access your system from outside your home network.
DrParanoia

Post by DrParanoia »

I hope I dont sound naieve, but since the Eyezon portal is https: doesn't that mean its secure? If not, other than stealing my alarm system codes and controlling it is there anything else that could go possibly go wrong on my network? Steal my web traffic, virus on my network etc...? :cry:
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

The TPI is a local interface on the Envisalink for application developers, programmers, and tinkerers. If does not go through the Eyezon servers.

There is more information on the TPI on the top of this forum.
eagle

Post by eagle »

I just wanted to get back to the point of this post. The built-in web server and web page which come loaded on the Envisalink 3 are what I'm most interested in developing. I don't think I'm confused about the difference between the TPI and the web server. They are both different interfaces. I'm interested in learning more about both, but in this post I'd like to learn more about the web server.

Usually with a web server (HTTP), an FTP server also runs which allows a user to modify the http pages, or even a server-side script. Is there a way to interface the web server or is that information contained in the firmware load and written to the ROM directly.

There are some customizations I'd like to make to the default web page to make it more useful for me. At the same time, I'd like to see about implementing HTTPS natively on the EVL3.

Dr. Paranoia, the connection from your computer/iphone to the portal page would be encrypted via HTTPS, but all the communications between the EVL3 and the portal server are unencrypted. What I'm talking about is the built-in webserver on the EVL3. That only serves up HTTP pages. If that page is accessed from outside the network, the form variables sent to the EVL3 page are not encrypted so an IP sniffer can capture them.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

eagle wrote: Usually with a web server (HTTP), an FTP server also runs which allows a user to modify the http pages, or even a server-side script. Is there a way to interface the web server or is that information contained in the firmware load and written to the ROM directly.

There are some customizations I'd like to make to the default web page to make it more useful for me. At the same time, I'd like to see about implementing HTTPS natively on the EVL3.
The embedded web server within the Envisalink cannot be modified, it is part of the firmware. This is an embedded computer, not a general purpose computer with an operating system like Linux.
eagle wrote:
Dr. Paranoia, the connection from your computer/iphone to the portal page would be encrypted via HTTPS, but all the communications between the EVL3 and the portal server are unencrypted.
ALL communications between the Envisalink and the reporting servers are encrypted. At no time are there any plain-text communications within the Envisalerts system.
eagle

Post by eagle »

That's good to know there is encryption between the Envisalink and the portal. Do you know what level of encryption? 128-bit?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Yes, 128bit AES.