Envisalink 2DS lost after power cycled

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

davidbod

Envisalink 2DS lost after power cycled

Post by davidbod »

We had some thunder storms come through and the power cycled a couple of times. After the power came back the 2DS was not working. On the browser interface it showed as "greyed out". I went into my router settings and the router showed the device as "off" and there was no link light activity on the port where the 2DS is plugged into the router. I went to the DSC PC1832 panel and all the normal usual lights on the 2DS board were not lit. Not knowing what to do I figured disconnecting the power to the 2DS might wake it up. Sure enough after waiting a minute and then reconnecting power the 2DS lit up and started working again.

My question is how can this be avoided in the future? If I had been on vacation and relying on my system, I would have lost all connection with no way of knowing what was going on and no way to re-establish connection until I returned home.
GrandWizard

Re: Envisalink 2DS lost after power cycled

Post by GrandWizard »

I've never heard of such a thing before. I've definitely seem my share of lightning damaged boards but these were visabled burnt/charred/smokey and did not recover.
DaveSin

Re: Envisalink 2DS lost after power cycled

Post by DaveSin »

When this incidence occurred, where you other LAN connected devices were able to get an IP address from your Router? Sometimes, depending on the Router and the type of Firmware you are using, the Router might "synch" before the Modem gets a WAN IP Address from the ISP, resulting in the LAN connected devices not be able to get an IP from the Router.

Is there anyway you could reproduce the problem by power cycling the Router and Modem together (simultaneously)?