Enisalink 3 and Bandwidth Usage

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

pirateradio

Enisalink 3 and Bandwidth Usage

Post by pirateradio »

Hello, brand new user here, and i have a question about the bandwidth that the Envisalink 3 might be using and if there is a way to control that.

Background:
Cut my landline, ran my internet cable to my alarm panel and installed my Envisalink 3 on a Vista 20P last week. Configured it myself, even though I am a novice (it took a few reads of the install guide). Anyway, EVERYTHING WORKS, and I can control the unit, turn the alarm off on, all zones are showing, etc. I am using it on Cox Internet (cable) in San Diego. I am MORE than pleased with the product, and have been touting it's benefits to many people.

My issue though, is that I am thinking it is on regular intervals sucking up my bandwidth. I have come to this conclusion because I have had the same internet service, router, devices, voip, etc for many many years with never any bandwidth issues. Now though, through out the day it seems on regular internvals when I am talking on my Vonage line - my primary work line that I am on almost all day, every day for years, there are regular times when my voice is completely garbled for about 5 seconds, people say "are you there - can't here you" etc, and always after 5 seconds or so all is normal again.

Since absolutely NOTHING has changed (devices, internet speed, etc), except the introduction of the Envisalink 3, I am assuming that this is the cause of the problem. I have never had any issues with Vonage until the introduction of the Envisalink. It almost seems that the Envisalink is on a regular basis sending information to it's servers, and this is when my voip line is disrupted, then all is normal until the next "communication". Anyway, that is my thinking.

Now, I don't have a network sniffer, and I wouldn't know how to use one anyway... but is there a way to perhaps lower the bandwidth usage, or frequency of reporting, or a setting that I could change, that I might see if it will resolve my issue? I have looked at the Envisalink directly, and don't see any setting for such, and to repeat, EVERY function of my Envisalink does seem to be working properly.

Any advice appreciated, and remember, I'm a complete novice with this.
smyers119

Re: Enisalink 3 and Bandwidth Usage

Post by smyers119 »

What type of router do you have including model number? What type of internet plan do you have ? Run speedtest.net and pingtest.net and post results. Doesn't sound like an bandwidth problem...sounds like a qos/router problem.
-Steve
MyersIT
pirateradio

Post by pirateradio »

According to Speedtest my download speed is 20.51MB/s, Upload 5.70 Mb/s and Ping 5ms, which is a grade of B+, faster than 76% of the US.
This is why I was hesitant to post... easy to blame the connection, which is fine btw.

As I said, NOTHING has changed in my setup that I have had for years, NOTHING except the introduction of the Envisalink3. I have NEVER had any issues with my Vonage voice, going on 5+ years now. It is only with the introduction of the Envisalink that these issues have come up.

Are there any particular settings that I should look at with the Envisalink? I do not have Zone Follower on, which is one of the few options that I thought my increase bandwidth usage.
smyers119

Post by smyers119 »

I never said it was a bandwidth issue, its a qos issue. You still did not tell me your routers name and model. After you do that I can help you further.
-Steve
MyersIT
pirateradio

Post by pirateradio »

My Router is a LinkSys, WRT400N
smyers119

Post by smyers119 »

To give priority to your voice lines:

Go into your router click on "Application & Gaming" Then click on "qos" in the sub-menu.

Enable "Internet Access Priority"

Then for Category select "Voice Device"

Then follow these steps:

Enter a Name Enter a name for your voice device.
MAC Address. Enter the MAC address of your voice device.
Priority Select the appropriate priority: High, Medium, Normal, or Low.
Click Apply to save your changes. Your new entry will appear in the Summary list.

After you finish you should not have any more voice issues.
-Steve
MyersIT
pirateradio

Post by pirateradio »

Thank you. I have set the QoS as recommended, and will update this post if I encounter any issues. Again, thank you for responding and thank you for the advice and guidance.
smyers119

Post by smyers119 »

I forgot to add after you hit apply, you also need to hit save changes at the bottom of the screen.
-Steve
MyersIT
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

The Envisalink (when activated) uses about 20kB (upstream) per hour, roughly 20MB per month. A drop in the bucket compared to your VoIP traffic.
ddimit

Post by ddimit »

Realistically your Vonage device should be the first device after your cable modem and then your WIFI/router.

This lets your Vonage device handle all the QOS issues without involving your local router.

I have 2 houses set up like this for over 5 years. one is my main residence with ComCrap Cable modem avg about 16mb service.

The second location is served by a 1mb Version DSL circuit.

ENVISLINK traffic is negligible for amount of data it uses.

Just be aware if you go with this setup the the Vonage device also does fire-walling. So if you need to allow certain ports in you will need to do it on the Vonage device and your local router.

This is actually Vonage's recommend install method as they tweak their device for the best QOS for voice with out dealing with another router inline.