Security Camera's and Envisalink

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

stevejb

Security Camera's and Envisalink

Post by stevejb »

Hi - I understand that the portal can be configured to work with security cameras. Can you tell me which camera's are supported?

I wanted to connect 2 outside camera's(wired) and one internal one (preferably wireless). Is this possible? I wanted something with great resolution on screen.

Any help appreciated....especially, with support forums that an help me set this up.

Regards,

Steven
DeanRobinson

Re: Security Camera's and Envisalink

Post by DeanRobinson »

What I did as a test, I borrowed a linksys camera, Set it up on my network then just went into the EVL3 setup and manually put in the port number I was using for the camera, then when I selected the camera icon in the EVL3 menus it then triggered the camera software.
blakem

Post by blakem »

Have you read the sticky at the top of the forum? It lists some of the models supported. Most of the Foscam models are supported and will give you a screenshot.

http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopi ... a0d1b47e8d
stevejb

Post by stevejb »

I did look at the sticky but it does not look like there are many. What if I went with another camera other than Foscam? Will I be able to see it through the portal? Just trying to understand what my options are and what are the drawbacks.

Regards,

Steven
ddimit

Post by ddimit »

It's kind of a try and see if it works thing. I Have a DVR that supports 4 cameras. it has a mini web server on it. You will need to know firewalls and routers and how to do port forwarding.

My Camera link is a IP address and Port which hits my DVR.

It all depends how much time you want to put into it. if your using 1 ip based camera should not be a problem. you will have to setup port forwarding on your firewall to make it work. You could do multiples but you would need to assign different inbound ports for each. once you get one to work the rest would be a piece of cake.
blakem

Post by blakem »

It has been a while since I had a foscam but I believe with it you do not need to port forward it and expose it to the internet. You provide the local ip and port number of the camera in your account and the Envisalink, on the same local network, uploads a snapshot periodically. Again this is all from memory so maybe I had to port forward but I really dont think I did. Personally I don't really care for foscams since there are better cameras out there for a little more money but in this case they do integrate nice with the Envisalink so it might be worth it for you.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

You have to port forward for Foscam too. Video does not go through the Eyezon servers.
baudrickwilles

Post by baudrickwilles »

stevejb wrote:I did look at the sticky but it does not look like there are many. What if I went with another camera other than Foscam? Will I be able to see it through the portal? Just trying to understand what my options are and what are the drawbacks.

Regards,

Steven
See, according to my experience I don't think that video would go through the Eyezon servers so better to select another option!!
sparkyindustries98

Post by sparkyindustries98 »

When you say "wired", I suspect you mean 10baseT ethernet & not coax video. However I'd reccomend installing a coax connected CCTV system feeding back to a good quality DVR with ample disk capacity & spare video channels for later expansion. In my opinion, if you have a need to produce CCTV footage as evidence, you need to make sure that you have the best quality possible. You wont get the same image quality and framerate through any type of IP camera.
blakem

Post by blakem »

sparkyindustries98 wrote:When you say "wired", I suspect you mean 10baseT ethernet & not coax video. However I'd reccomend installing a coax connected CCTV system feeding back to a good quality DVR with ample disk capacity & spare video channels for later expansion. In my opinion, if you have a need to produce CCTV footage as evidence, you need to make sure that you have the best quality possible. You wont get the same image quality and framerate through any type of IP camera.
I would agree that foscams are bargain cameras will not provide the best quality image but a more professional IP camera will provide superior image quality over an analog camera, of course it will cost you much more money than what a foscam would cost. Lots to choose from but take a look at Axis or Mobotix brands if you want a step up.