inbound ports?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

marklyn

inbound ports?

Post by marklyn »

I have an app that allows me to use a port number to communicate with my Envisalink board.
I know I can get to the settings, etc., from the web page on my smartphone, but the app is easier and more convenient to use, if I can make it work.
Is there a way to connect to the board, from outside my firewall, with a specified port number?
I don't see a way to set up a port.
billyrusa

Re: inbound ports?

Post by billyrusa »

You need to config your route to forward an external port(you pick the number) to port 4025 on EnvisaLink board. Configure the app to access your route's external IP and the port you forwarded on the route.
marklyn

Post by marklyn »

billyrusa wrote:You need to config your route to forward an external port(you pick the number) to port 4025 on EnvisaLink board. Configure the app to access your route's external IP and the port you forwarded on the route.
I tried that, still getting "failed to contact alarm". I have other things (cameras) that are port forwarded, so I'm familiar with the process.
I'm wondering if the port is wrong. If I type in my local IP:port into my browser, I should get to the board's IP if the port is right, but the 4025 never works... nor does 4020-4025; however using port 80 works, but only inside of my router firewall.
billyrusa

Post by billyrusa »

If you want to access the board by using a remote browser, you need to forward a port to the port 80 on board. such as: http://youRouteRemoteIP:8080. and forward 8080 to localIP:80.
marklyn

Post by marklyn »

ok, I used port 8080 and set up a different external port on my router to forward to 8080. Works now. I had hoped there was a more unique internal port assignment than 8080, but it works and I'm happy.
Thanks
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

marklyn wrote:
I'm wondering if the port is wrong. If I type in my local IP:port into my browser, I should get to the board's IP if the port is right, but the 4025 never works... nor does 4020-4025; however using port 80 works, but only inside of my router firewall.
Port 4025 is the TPI port which is what all of the third-party apps use. It does not use HTTP as a protocol so you can't put that port into a browser and expect it to work.

The Envisalink has a rudimentary web interface on port 80 but you can't do much with it except monitor zone activity. It is meant for configuration.
mikep

Post by mikep »

It's probably worth noting that the web page and the TPI are unencrypted connections. If you log into either from outside your home network, you'll be exposing your password and panel PIN in the clear to anyone sniffing your connection.

It's pretty simple for a hacker to write a brute force network app to discover your password or your panel PIN, if you expose your envisalink outside of your firewall.

It's much safer to use the eyezon service if you want remote access.

Mike
DscServer for android/linux/windows: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/dscserver
raversnet

Post by raversnet »

Ok i understand all of that. But is there any special configuration required for EyesOn to access my board? Does it use UPNP to configure a port to access and configure the board? I only ask because im installing behind two routers and im worried the board will lose contact with EyesOn. If i need to open ports and route certain traffic then i will.

Rob :)
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

No external ports are required for normal operation of the Envisalink.