A few questions about IP monitored service

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

eymp945

A few questions about IP monitored service

Post by eymp945 »

Hi all,
I've just become aware of Eyez-On IP monitored security using the Envisalink module and I have a few questions.

1. At my business I currently have an ADT provided and monitored DSC PC5020 which is monitored over POTS. Do I understand correctly that this system will work with the Envisalink?
2. I want to cancel my expensive ADT service as well as the POTS line. What kind of programming do I need to do to the DSC panel in order to start IP monitored service with Eyez-On? Do I need the installer codes? Basically I'm a bit confused on how to get up and running.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out with these questions!
GrandWizard

Re: A few questions about IP monitored service

Post by GrandWizard »

1. Yes
2. Sort of. You don't need the installer code to do any programming with regards to the Envisalink, but if you cancel your phone line you will get a TLM trouble on your panel that you won't be able to clear without disabling that feature. This would require the installer code.

If you can live with the trouble on your panel, then there is nothing to program within the panel.
eymp945

Post by eymp945 »

Thanks for your reply :D A couple more questions if you don't mind:

1. Do you happen to know if ADT will provide the installer code if I ask for it? As far as I know, the equipment belongs to me.

2. In the event that ADT will NOT provide the installer code, would leaving the system hooked up to a VOIP phone line (so that the system still gets a dial tone) solve the TLM trouble issue? Or would the panel still attempt to dial out if the alarm is tripped?

3. After installing the Envisalink module, what sort of programming is required in order to begin IP-based monitoring by Eyez-On?

Thanks again.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Hi

1. Probably not
2. Yes, that is fine. All it is looking for is 48Vdc on the telephone line. Actually, many telcos don't even bother physically disconnecting a custer from the linecard so you still get 48V on your phone line even though line is inactive

In the case of your VoIP line, the panel will continue to send alarms to ADT but as you don't have an account, they are ignored.

3. None
ejosterberg

Post by ejosterberg »

In regards to question 2 about the trouble condition and leaving a VoIP adapter connected, you are going to have a failure to communicate as soon as there is an event it wants to call out about. You need a central station it can call to absorb the message.

You would likely need to pay for a service call, but if you have a commercial account and are fairly sure you truly own your alarm panel, you should be able to pay them to reset the installers code.

Have you tried pressing * 8 5010 to see if the default code is still in place?

You can replace the alarm panel PCB with something much newer for less than 100 bucks if you're handy and want to wire it up.

You might also be able to default the panel. As I recall you need to install a jumper and disconnect and reconnect all the power. If you want to try that, I can look up the instructions for you. You will then need to program the panel from scratch.

-Eric
eymp945

Post by eymp945 »

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Tomorrow I'm going to check if the default code is still in place. If not, I'll try asking ADT if they will give me the installer code.

ejosterberg: thanks for the suggestion on defaulting the panel. Depending on what I find out with the panel and/or ADT, I may follow up with you if you don't mind looking up the instructions.

At worse I suppose I could buy a new panel, although I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible since I'm very short on time right now.
eymp945

Post by eymp945 »

Good news: I am not on contract and I do own the equipment.

Bad news: ADT will NOT give me the installer code. I tried a couple dozen codes (defaults and common codes) but none of them worked. It would appear that I will not be gaining installer level access to the system.

New question/clarification: if I cancel the POTS line that this system is currently hooked into and the phone company does not physically disconnect the line (so I still get 48V), do I understand correctly that no TLM trouble will occur, i.e, I am all set?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

You should try asking your Installer Code question on a DIY forum. List where you live and maybe someone will private message you with common ADT codes for that region.

As for the TLM, yes you will not get a TLM trouble but you will get a FTC (fail to communicate) if the panel can't actually contact the station in the event of an alarm.
eymp945

Post by eymp945 »

After speaking with ADT several times they have refused to reset the installer code to default even if I pay for the service call (commercial account of 8 years!)

I have called a couple of local alarm companies and asked if I could pay them to reset the installer code to default but they do not seem to be privy to the local ADT installer codes.

It seems that my only option is to install a new motherboard. Maybe this isn't the place to ask this question, but I'll try anyway: is there a suggested board to use with the EnvisaLink and monitored service? I will probably never have more than 8 zones and all my zones are currently hardwired.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

You don't need to buy a new panel. You can factory reset your panel (most likely) and get a defaut code but you will lose your panel programming. This is not ideal but it isn't the end of the world.

Did you try asking on the DIY forums?